Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going out of town - baby won't take bottle

Default Going out of town - baby won't take bottle

We are going out of town without kids next month for 4 nights. My youngest will be 8.5 months old and I have a bunch of milk all ready to go. The problem is that she won't take a bottle anymore. She just chews on the nipple. I'm not the one trying to give it to her, so that's not the problem. I don't know what to do except have my Mom put the breastmilk in her food so at least she's getting the nutrients. I am also afraid that she will accidentally wean herself if I am gone for 4 nights. So, my thoughts and concerns I need with are:

* Is there a trick to getting her to take a bottle again?
    * We are going to get different nipples since the only ones we have are level 1. I know she should be on at least level 4. Could this be the problem? When I turn the bottle over with a level 1 nipple is comes out pretty quickly, but maybe not quick enough for her?
    * Could it be that she isn't a fan of previously frozen milk because she is so used to fresh milk?
    * My husband is going to start giving her a bottle every couple nights.
    * I have been having her practice using a straw so that she could drink her milk with a cup.
    * She is on solids and is a very good eater, but I am not ready to give up breastfeeding.
    * Is there a possibility of her weaning herself after 4 nights away even if she wasn't ready?

Thanks in advance for all of y'all's help!

Default Re: Going out of town - baby won't take bottle

How about try an open cup or sippy cup.

Could it be that she isn't a fan of previously frozen milk because she is so used to fresh milk
    Does your defrosted milk taste or smell soapy? This would indicate an issue with too much lipase enzyme, which is not going to hurt the milk any and is entirely safe but can cause baby to refuse milk due to the smell or taste.

there is no such thing as a nipple a baby "should" be at at any particular age. Every baby is different, and many babies remain using the slowest flow nipples for the duration as it is easier to control the flow with these, as flow from a bottle is usually too rapid, not too slow, although, of course ,some babies of any age might prefer a faster flow. I would suggest, always use paced bottle feeding no matter what type of nipple you find works best. This is something the caregiver does by giving pauses and with the positioning of baby and bottle that helps baby control the feeding and the flow of the milk.

* Is there a possibility of her weaning herself after 4 nights away even if she wasn't ready?
    There is always the possibility that any upsetting event or separation from mom might cause a nursing strike. But if baby abruptly stops nursing due to this separation, that is a nursing strike, and NOT weaning. It can be hard to encourage a baby who is striking back to the breast, but it certainly can be done. It is also entirely possible that you baby will go right back to nursing without a problem.

I would suggest, talk it over with your mom about what your expectations are. It is important that your baby be offered enough to eat and drink, but it is just as important to not pressure baby. Your healthy 8 month old is not going to starve to death in four days. Dehydration is a possibility but unlikely that baby will refuse to take in milk to the point of dehydration. Discuss alternative calming methods and how to get your milk into foods if those are going to be easier for baby to take in while you are gone.

paced bottle feedings http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

and http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FD00534CAAC56E

nursing strike: http://www.llli.org/faq/strike.html and http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 5th, 2014 at 03:49 PM.

Thank you lllmeg for this great advice and info! I will definitely check on the smell of the milk because in the past she has not taken a sip and then turned her head in disgust. She would always finish it off though. I had thought maybe there was a little soap residue in the bottle.

I feel a little more relaxed knowing that there are some things I can try as well as being prepared for a nursing strike.

Ok, I hope it is not a lipase issue but, it is what it is. Generally if the milk has been frozen the worse the issue is, although it can happen with even fresh milk (but that is rare.) Unfortunately I am not sure there is much you can do if the milk has already been frozen, but you can scald freshly expressed milk prior to freezing /storing and that will help in most cases. here is an article with more about the excess lipase issue. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/

My dd always liked her ebm cold. Warming it up seemed to change the taste in a way she did not like. So we gave it to her direct from the fridge in a bottle with the nipple at room temp. Also, we found she loved it frozen as a kind of slush spoon fed to her. When she began to talk she called it "brr" She is now 2.5 and every once in a while she says she wishes I could still give her brr.

^ Great tip. brr. Cute!

So I bought a new bottle to try (Tommee Tippee) because it looked more nipple like. I was using the Dr. Browns wide nipple before. We shall see.

I also read another post that a mom expressed milk and varied what she did after that. One sample she froze right away, another she left out to see how quickly it started to smell soapy and/sour, the third she heated/cooled/froze to see if it helped. I may try this little experiment.

I will also give the cold milk a try. Maybe then she would think it was a different beverage and would expect for it to taste fresh!

Our vacation is a month away so I have a little time to try some things out.

One more thought...

A lot of the frozen milk is at least a month or so old (some 3 months). Could that be a problem? I always thought is was good for 6 months.

Depends on the freezer. If it has been in a freezer that doesn't stay as cold (like in an upright that is getting opened up all the time) then it may not last as long but in a deep freeze, it will keep much longer.

If in doubt, defrost a sample and smell/taste it yourself to compare. I think I've also heard that lipase may not ALWAYS be a problem, as in I've heard of some mom's that had to toss out a large quantity of milk but by changing something about their diet/health it changed the amount of the enzyme .

Also a lipase issue can come and go at any time. I noticed my baby refusing to drink more than a little from bottles that I sent after April (I hadn't given bottles for a week in mid-April). Turns out everything I pumped after that time would get affected by the lipase, and quickly, too (like a few hours after expressing). Before then my milk never had an issue! These days I freeze everything right after pumping. My baby only has 2 bottles a day and nurses 6x the rest of the 24 hours so even though some of the good properties of the milk are lost, it's not such a big deal since he gets them from nursing. The problem is, milk I freeze immediately will be good only for a few days. After that it turns bad. I have learned to differentiate this by looks. If I plan to keep milk for the future (like a stash), I scald it first.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.