Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Revised tongue and lip tie bottle feeding issues

Default Revised tongue and lip tie bottle feeding issues

My <6wo had her lip and tongue ties revised Monday. Since then has been BF almost exclusively. However, I think her transfer is still really low since all she does now is BF. She will not take a bottle. Things are getting hard since feedings are marathon and almost nonstop. Any idea why she won't take the bottle or how to work on upping her transfer?

Default Re: Revised tongue and lip tie bottle feeding issues

How does breast feeding feel now?
    How do you think your supply is? Have you been pumping to keep your supply up?
    Did you get any exercises to do with baby to help improve tongue/lip strength and stretching?

Do you do breast compressions?
    http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:bre ast-compression&catid=5&Itemid=17

If you feel you need to still supplement but baby is not wanting to take a bottle then look into using a lactation aid http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25:la ctation-aid&catid=5&Itemid=17

Here is a link to a thread I started that has more links on the topic of milk transfer problems and therapy etc
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ransfer-Issues

Good suggestions above. Have you been to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, since your baby's tongue/lip ties were fixed? Now would be a very good time to go in for a consult, especially one that included a weigh-feed-weigh measurement done on a professional scale. You might also want to rent a professional scale and do your own measurements- they are very good for helping you figure out how much your baby transfers over the course of the average feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes as Mommal says, a good IBCLC appointment is a good idea now. And an IBCLC may well be able to help your with some of the physical therapy exercises for oral motor or suck re-training after the tongue/lip tie release. IBCLC's may also be able to help with scale or pump rentals if that is appropriate for you.
    AND perhaps also help you determine if supplementing is still necessary and if so how to go about it and help you with your supply IF supplementing is still necessary etc.

I agree with the pps. As far as bottles, many babies are resistant to bottles for many reasons, the primary one being that the bottle is not the breast. Babies nurse instinctually, but they may not bottle feed instinctually.

In general, it is best to avoid bottles anyway while breastfeeding issues are going on. Unless of course any supplement is needed, and even then, there may be an alternative feeding method that would be better. You will know if supplements are needed if baby is not gaining enough.