Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 wks pregnant and already producing milk again!

Default 8 wks pregnant and already producing milk again!

My first child was completely weaned over 4 months ago. I always battled producing too much milk with him. Now, I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my second and I'm already leaking milk!! Yesterday, my toddler started crying and the milk just started flowing.

My doctor says it's nothing to worry about, but I'm wondering if anyone else had experience with this/has any advice?

Default Re: 8 wks pregnant and already producing milk again!

It's normal to have some milk for up to a year after complete weaning, so I don't think it's too surprising that you have some now, when pregnancy is doing all sorts of funny things to your body.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 8 wks pregnant and already producing milk again!

I agree with mommal that this may be milk from previous nursing experience, rather than milk from this pregnancy. It would be early for any milk production from the current pregnancy, and any leaking of colostrum would typically not be too much and it would be clear probably.

If you think this is milk from this pregnancy, and there is a lot of it, and it appears to be mature milk, then I am not sure. I cannot find anything in my research but I do know of mothers where this indicated some hormonal issues. Since you always battled with milk production before, I wonder if there were any hormonal issues involved with that. So you might want to get clarity from your doctor if there is anything they might want to test for.