Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad milk with too much foremilk and not enough hind milk?

Default Bad milk with too much foremilk and not enough hind milk?

Hi! I've had a very colicky baby since he was born and starting around 6 weeks he started having consistently green stools which are often very frothy. I have tried an elimination diet and getting rid of dairy seemed to help. He's now 4 months and the colic has very gradually faded away; he just has a bad day or two every week or so. But he still has green frothy poops. I've tried to reduce my serious oversupply by only feeding on one side for 3-4 feedings in a row and then pumping some before the first feeding on the other side. My supply has reduced ALOT and I feel very light now so I know he's emptying me but he still has green frothy poops. Could my body just be producing milk that has too much lactose/foremilk and not enough hind milk? The doctor didn't seem worried at his 2 month appt but he still really strains from digestion pain and I don't want to put my next kids through the same first 4 months he's had! Thank you for advice!!

Default Re: Bad milk with too much foremilk and not enough hind milk

I also wanted to add he really only nurses for 5-10 minutes at a time, occasionally 15 every 2.5-3 hours.

Gotta be careful with the block nursing to make sure you don't over do it and wind up with low supply.

A 4 month old only taking 5-10 minutes to nurse is not uncommon.

Green frothy poop all on it's own is actually nothing to worry about. Digestive pains are the only thing in your post that seem of any concern really.

Each baby/breastfeeding experience is likely to be different.

Could my body just be producing milk that has too much lactose/foremilk and not enough hind milk?
    No. Not only is this not possible, even if your baby was only getting foremilk, there is nothing 'bad' about it. All breastmilk contains everything a baby needs.

It sounds like the fussiness is resolving and your baby is ok otherwise-normal gain I assume? In that case, I doubt there is any need to worry about poop color or look. There are many varieties of normal for infant poop.

IF this is an issue of "too much" foremilk, reducing production is one way to go, but as pp suggests it has it's dangers. And in any case, while this does tend to happen when a mom has abundant production, the issue is not really "too much" milk. It is a "too fast" flow. Does baby show any symptoms that you have a fast flow while he is nursing? (coughing, gagging, choking, upset and pulling off the breast, major spitups right after nursing?

If so, A too fast flow is helped by allowing/encouraging baby to nurse very frequently. Assuming normal weight gain, no need for baby to switch sides during a feeding, unless baby wants to. Nursing one side at a time is often helpful in these situations. But having baby stay on the same side for 2 or more sessions is risky as this practice will continue to decrease your milk production. Nursing in a leaning back position, with baby more or less "on top" of you, may also help.

If you wish to revisit the idea that allergies might or might not be a concern, let us know how you did the elimination diet.