Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No poop 4 days!!!!

Default No poop 4 days!!!!

My baby girl is 8 months old. She has always been EBF. Her weight gain has always been great. She does eat solids ever other day now. Sometimes it's 1-3 x day. Just depends how I read her that day. However; my concern is she hasn't pooped in 4 days. Her last bowel movement was hard and it was uncomfortable for my lil peanut. I'm thinking she is constipated. Called doc office, and gave me solution to give her suppository and pear or apple juice. Is this the best thing for my angel. Not a big fan of both ideas. But I really need her to poop. She must be so uncomfortable.

Default Re: No poop 4 days!!!!

Breastmilk is supposed to have a laxative effect which is why EBF babies are almost never constipated until they start eating solids or taking vitamin or supplements.

Nothing is likely to be comfortable. Suppositories and juice are both pretty natural old fashion remedies. Prune juice might be effective too but of course all juice tends to be high in sugar.

Prune juice might be better. You could also avoid the constipating BRAT foods (bananas, rice, apples, and toast/bread) and switch her solids to the constipation-fighting ones: soft fruits like blueberries, cherries, apricots, peaches, pears, and plums.

Possibly the constipation is your baby's body telling you to back off on the solids Her little system might not be ready for it. Maybe skip the solids for a week or so while she's going through this, then gently ease back in. It might also be that she is nursing less often or for less time than she had been. You might not even notice that until the poop backs up Offering frequently works for lots of moms.