Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supplementing. .

Default supplementing. .

Im really upset about this I wanted to ebf my baby till 6 months then start solids but never give her formula. She was gaining in the 25th percentile but then last week she went down a few oz but she had diarrhea so the doc wasnt concerned. But we went bacj today and she still hasnt gained it back, just 2 oz since last Thursday. So doc wants me to start supplement after every feeding 2 oz. Im just heartbroken and I feel like a failure. I just don't understand why. I guess its probably bc of the horrible nippleshield i haven't been able to wean her from.*Can anyone tell me if its possible to supplement now but wean her fron the shield and maybe one day go back to not needing to supplement? She is 11 weeks. Any advice or anything

Default Re: supplementing. .

There are a bunch of questions the other ladies are going to ask I'm sure.

How old is baby?
    What has her weight gain history been like?
    Can you see a lactation consultant locally? An IBCLC would be best to help you with weaning off the shield and dealing with supplementing in the most breastfeeding supportive way possible.

How often are you feeding? Have you been pumping?

Nipple shields can cause milk transfer and supply issues with long term use. Not feeding often enough can also hurt supply. Sometimes it is possible to feed a little more often and turn around a weight gain issue if your supply is good. If supply is hurt then pumping and feeding more often can help bring supply back up and what is pumped can be used as supplement instead of having to use formula if you are pumping enough.

Not gaining much over a week is not as bad as not gaining at all or loosing weight.

Did The Dr say how many feedings per day he expects you to supplement? If you are feeding 12 times in a day then that could mean supplementing 24 oz which might be as much as some babies consume total in a day. Often times Dr will say after every feeding but really only mean x number of feedings and not really intend you to supplement overnight. 2 oz after EVERY feeding could be a huge amount and WAY over supplementing can really hurt the breastfeeding relationship and your supply. How long does the Dr expect you to supplement this amount?

How are you going to give the supplement? It doesn't have to be by bottle, it could be by, cup, spoon, syringe, lactation aid (at the breast tube supplementer)

Answer to your questions:
    11 weeks
    She has gained slowly but steady. In the 25th percentile. She was birn at 7.8 but went down to 6.15. 2 weeks ago she was 8.12 then last Thursday she was down to 8.9 then friday down 8.7 then today was at 8.9. the doctor said last week she wasn't worried about the weight bc she had gotten sick but I was worried so I made the appt for today to check.
    I went to see a lc at the hospital I delivered at about 3 weeks ago and she was very unhelpful. I needed help with nipple shield Weaning and it was useless to go, honestly.
    I think this may be a problem as well. I feel like im always nursing but she tends to fall asleep and comfort nurse. Ive been really making it a point to keep her awake and do breast compressions. I actually have noticed this today that while she is on me all day, she isn't always actively nursing so its my fault
    I never pump but I did today and got 1 oz out of the breast that she normally doesn't want to nurse on and feels much less full than the other.
    She just told me 2 oz after every feeding. That's it. I actually was able to feed her 1 oz of the formula and she kept making this horrible face like a bad taste was in her mouth or something was caught in her throat. She eventually spit it allup and felt better but has refused I since.
    I used a bottle.
    I tried contacting her doctor 2 times about the formula but haven't gotten in touch with her

And honestly I hope its something ive done wrong and can rectify. Last Monday she had diarrhea with blood in it as well so we brought her to the hospital and the took blood and found that the enzymes on her liver were elevated and her pkk (I believe is what its called but its to do with blood clots) was in the normal range but on three high borderline of normal.
    We had to bring her again to get her blood tested this week to see the progression but haven't gotten the results yet
    Research I have done shows that in certain problems with liver, weight lose occurs in infants. So im very worried this may be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joliesmommy View Post
    And honestly I hope its something ive done wrong and can rectify. Last Monday she had diarrhea with blood in it as well so we brought her to the hospital and the took blood and found that the enzymes on her liver were elevated and her pkk (I believe is what its called but its to do with blood clots) was in the normal range but on three high borderline of normal.
    We had to bring her again to get her blood tested this week to see the progression but haven't gotten the results yet
    Research I have done shows that in certain problems with liver, weight lose occurs in infants. So im very worried this may be the problem.
    Now I'm not a Dr but I would say start pumping after feeding so that you can use expressed breast milk to supplement with. Possibly even mixing formula and breastmilk if you really do need to supplement 2 oz but the danger there is that you then have to toss out breastmilk if she doesn't finish the bottles so probably better to give the breastmilk first and formula after if you can even get her to take it. Leftover Breastmilk can usually be saved and given again at the next feeding instead of tossing it out if it isn't finished immediately.

See if you can find an IBCLC or LLL group leader to help you since the hospital LC was so unhelpful.

She has gained slowly but steady. In the 25th percentile. She was birn at 7.8 but went down to 6.15. 2 weeks ago she was 8.12 then last Thursday she was down to 8.9 then friday down 8.7 then today was at 8.9. the doctor said last week she wasn't worried about the weight bc she had gotten sick but I was worried so I made the appt for today to check.
    When was that lowest weight check? At what point was baby back to birth weight?

This appears to be pretty slow gain. No one was worried about this until baby got sick?

Not all moms have issues with milk production due to shields but many do. When nipple shields are used, it can make it more difficult for a baby to get enough milk, either due to the shields, or due to whatever the underlying latch issue is that is causing the need for shields. So, when using shields, it is important to pump as well as nurse to ensure normal milk production, and baby's weight must be monitored closely to ensure baby is getting enough. This was clearly not done. This is not YOUR fault. It is your hcps fault. Who gave you nipple shields in the first place?

Your child's slow gain and now weight loss is potentially serious. You need to see someone competent who can help you untangle what is going on. This would be an IBCLC or a doctor with knowledge about breastfeeding. If the person you saw at the hospital was no help, try to find someone else. Independent IBCLCs are perhaps less likely to be constrained by time as ones who work at hospitals. Also, are you sure the person you saw was an IBCLC? Many 'lc's' at hospitals are not.

We can offer you breastfeeding information and support, and are happy to do so. but at this point I think the situation may need hands on care.

What you can do in the mean time.

Nurse baby as much as baby will
    Pump as often as you can. Anytime you can is fine. Pump with the best pump you can get a hold of.
    look into galactagogues
    get clarity on how much the doctor wants baby to be supplemented and with what. Is your expressed milk ok? It should be.

If you think your child has an underlying medical issue, and that THAT is the problem, rather than the amount baby is fed, insist on more testing. I cannot tell you what is wrong of course, and with your history I think it is possible your baby is not getting enough milk. It certainly happens at times that breastfeeding is blamed for poor gain when the issue is caused be illness or medical condition.

here is info on what to expect at a lactation consultation: http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 31st, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Ho many times in a 24hour period are you nursing?

Way too lazy for formula