Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactation without pregnancy?

Default Lactation without pregnancy?

Hi! I am actually posting this for a friend. She has just told ne thst she has been lactating for about a year nowand she doesnt know why. She does not have children. She had a pregnancy go wrong very early in term about 6 months prior to this starting. The only other changes in her life style have been positive ones......vitamins, healthy diet, no longer on any medications for depression or anxiety or taking anything with hormones in it. So, we are not really sure why this is happening. I dont think she is lactating enough to support a child's eating habits....but she says if she leaves her breasts aline for a couple days they will start to get swollen and she just basically hand expresses just enough to relieve her. I have explained supply and demand to her and she assures me she does this as little as possible and there is very little to no nipple stimulation. She does not want to take any medications to remedy this but is open to anything natural.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? what could have caused it to begin with and fir it to continue for so long? Thanks so much for your help!

Default Re: Lactation without pregnancy?

Has she seen a doctor? If not, she really should go. Milk production that is not associated with pregnancy (a.k.a. galactorrhea) can have a lot of different causes, and while some of them are benign, many of them are not.

This article discusses the evaluation and management of galactorrhea: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/0601/p1073.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Lactation without pregnancy?

thank you...yes she has been to her dr. Im not sure exactly which tests were run....but the ones that were done came back normal. ill direct her yo the link you gave me.