Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Intro to bottles

Default Intro to bottles

Hi ladies!

My LO wil be 3mo this friday and we will be introducing bottles. Im mainly doing this because we've had some bf issues that we overcame but she eats pretty often and running errands is very hard, I end up spending most of my time feeding her and not getting anything done.

I still want to bf and mainly use bottles for outtings and maybe nighttime..bedtime takes a couple of hours sometimes..she will nurse, doze off..wake up for awhile, get changed and do it all again. Im hoping a bottle may help that.

Any advice for introducing bottles? How did you all start? Nipple confusion is a concern for me since we started out with problems due to ffld and reflux.

Default Re: Intro to bottles

introducing bottles will likely NOT improve breastfeeding issues in my experience!
    Remember that whenever you feed the baby in any way other than at the breast, you need to pump to make up for it or your supply may suffer.

If nipple confusion and flow preference are of concern to you then bottle feeding is something to be cautious about.

You might want to get the book Balancing Breast and Bottle which might help you in choosing the correct bottle nipple to make things less likely to be a problem.

I doubt that using a bottle will really make things that much easier. (Dealing with bottles and keeping them cool and then warming them while out running errands sounds so much more difficult than simply breastfeeding to me but I must admit I'm fairly comfortable breastfeeding just about anywhere.)

We co sleep so nursing to sleep or cuddling to sleep is much easier than trying to bottle feed and then put baby down.

I've had some supply issues (baby with tongue/lip ties not corrected till late) so supplementing with bottles has caused me a world of trouble with baby fussing at the breast when let down doesn't happen immediately, and then sometimes fussing again when letdown does happen and then again when flow slows again and then of course DH wants to give a bottle because he is fussing which of course will only make things worse.

I know some people manage fine with bottles and breastfeeding but for many it actually spells slow weaning off of the breast and onto bottles, especially if you are using formula in the bottles and not pumping to keep your supply up every time a bottle gets used.

Yeah I know they will not solve anything and the thought of them causing bf troubles does worry me but i hope we can do both. I wouldnt mind feeding in public with a cover but with her being fussy sometimes and feeding rather often I know it will stress me out. Im jealous of you ladies who do it no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaimom View Post
    Yeah I know they will not solve anything and the thought of them causing bf troubles does worry me but i hope we can do both. I wouldnt mind feeding in public with a cover but with her being fussy sometimes and feeding rather often I know it will stress me out. Im jealous of you ladies who do it no problem!
    Mine can often be really fussy about nursing at home at times but I've rarely experienced major fussy fits when I've been out and about and needed to nurse.

I ditched a cover because it was too hard with fussing under it and instead wear a vest and a t-shirt so one up one down. It means very little shows... Over time I just got used to her potentially flashing me if she fusses, but my biggest confidence boost was being around other women feeding as it is less bad than you think!

I had issues with bottles, but my lo had them early on and it's supposed to be less likely to cause issues if they are introduced past 6 weeks which your lo is.

Have you had any support to check her latch is ok and she is transferring milk fine?