Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast pump comparison

Red face Breast pump comparison

I'm hoping this hasn't been posted about 300 times but if so I do apologize.

I'm attempting to pick a breast pump that is covered by our health insurance. There's 3 different vendors I can go through but they all offer different ones.

The first vendor offers Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump Starter Set, Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump No Tote, Freemie Freedom Standard Set with HANDS FREE and Concealable Freemie Collection Cups and Hygeia Q Breast Pump.

The other vendor has Lansinoh Signature Pro Breast Pump, Rumble Tuff Double Electric Breast Pump, NUK® Expressive® Double Electric Breast Pump, and Dr. Brown's Double Electric Breast Pump.

The last vendor I can't see the actual pumps because I'm a day before my 30 days prior to my due date but I can post it tomorrow.

I realize that Medela is the most common brand but I was wondering if any of you had used the other brands and what your thoughts were.

I used an Ameda for both of my girls and it's 7 years old. I thought now would be a good time with my 3rd to get an upgrade/new one.

Default Re: Breast pump comparison

Medela has the advantage of you being able to get pump parts and kits almost anywhere and the parts that strap to your chest are fairly small making hands free pumping pretty easy. I've used the Medela PISA. It is almost too much suction for me even on the lowest setting but I have lots of pump parts for it since I rented the Medela Symphony early on to help with supply problems. It is nice to have extra pump sets so washing doesn't have to happen as often. Big problem with the Medela stuff is the tubing is always in danger of getting moisture in it and then starting to grow mold so you need to let the pump run with just the tubing attached after pumping to help dry it out so you don't have to keep sterilizing and replacing the tubing.

I've heard some good things about the Ameda pump but never used them myself, they seem to be a bit easier to get parts and kits for than most of the other pumps I see on your list other than the Medela. What did you think of your old Ameda? Do you know if it was comparable to the new Amedia PY? I agree that getting a new pump is probably a good idea but if the Ameda worked well for you then perhaps the new one would be a good choice unless there is something you didn't like about it.

The Hygeia I think uses wide mouth bottles but you can get an adapter that will pump into the standard bottles but that is about all I know about it (I think their wide mouth bottles have the same threads as the Lansinoh Momma bottles but the lansinoh pump is a standard thread pump.

I've read reviews about those concealable collection cups, sounded like trouble from most of the people who posted on Amazon.

Amazon seems to have a good amount of reviews about products you find listed on there so that would probably be a good place to search reviews.

Default Re: Breast pump comparison

I went ahead and requested the Medela. I liked my Ameda but it took forever sometimes it seemed to pump. I was leaning towards the Hygeia but looking into it there were some issues with it. Thanks for the help!!!