Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Down to one session a day, how long to expect milk to stay?

Question Down to one session a day, how long to expect milk to stay?

My daughter turned 3 this summer and we are now down to one nursing session a day (for about 15 min or so until she falls asleep for nap). She is still very attached to nursing and really looks forward to it. I'm very happy with our once-a-day schedule for the time being. I'm concerned that my milk might dry up before she is ready to completely wean. Anyone have experience breastfeeding once a day, and know how likely my milk is to stick around or slowly disappear? So far in our breastfeeding journey I have not had supply issues. Thanks for any insight y'all can give me!

Default Re: Down to one session a day, how long to expect milk to st

my experience is that at that age they don't necessarily care if there's milk or not so it's fine. Do you know that you're even still making more than a couple of drops of milk? Do you see many swallows? It really doesn't matter at this age, in my opinion and experience and she can nurse as long as you both want at this point, milk or no milk. Congrats! My daughter nursed over 3 yrs, too and I didn't have much milk the last year due to pregnancies/miscarriages.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

That makes me feel a lot better! I do hear her swallow when she first starts nursing, but I never feel engorged anymore so I think I probably just make a little milk at this point. I hadn't considered that she might want to continue even if theres little/no milk, so thats comforting to hear your daughter did. Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

Breastfeeding is about much more than milk, which you know well by this age. I could express a drop or two but I doubt my daughter got more than a few drops/day the last few mos.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.