Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major Trouble Breastfeeding - Baby 6 Weeks Old...

Default Re: Major Trouble Breastfeeding - Baby 6 Weeks Old...

And here I was thinking this doesn't look like low supply at all. I guess we disagree on this one, tclynx! I see very similar patterns in my little guy with my abundant milk supply. The second description sounds like my lo when he needs to burp or when he was just a bit thirsty and wants something else now, like a change of scenery. The first description sounds like a newborn enjoying snuggles with his mama. I have a link but I can't post it right now about surviving the fourth trimester. The newborn phase sucks. It really does (I'm stuck in bed under my toddler and baby and oh boy do I have to pee!) But it gets better. Most babies seem to hit a developmental milestone between 8-10 weeks and their nursing/life gets a bit more organized and efficient. They discover a whole new world beyond mom's boobs. In the meantime do you have a wrap, sling, or carrier? My ergo and ring sling are sanity savers! It takes a bit of practice but my lo loves it.
    It takes a bit of faith to breastfeed. I agree a scale might give you the peace of mind to stop supplementing. As to the latch, it's likely fine if is comfortable to you. Neither of my boys' latch looked perfect and my oldest would often compress the nipples to a lipstick shape but there was no pain and they both gained well

I find it very confusing to follow the latch advice when all the diagrams/pictures are of much bigger breasts! Mine look nothing like that and when following their advice baby ends up latched on with a much smaller mouth than is shown in the pictures... maybe that's just the best way for us?
    Of course every visual aid has limits. The pictures are just to give you ideas. This is why you experiment with your baby to find what works for you.
    I tried the laid back thing. I like it, not sure if it's practical for all the time though.
    Laid back simply means mom is leaning back. The picture in the LLL doc shows a mom about as far back as you would want to go. You can certainly 'do it' with much less lean. Moms can do "laid back" in a straight back chair or sitting crosslegged on the ground or on a park bench-anywhere. Baby can be in any position.

I do think more weigh, feed, weighs would be useful.
    Great. Just make sure they are done accurately with a very sensitive infant scale. Not even all digital baby scales are the right ones for this.

I just want to describe the two main types of feed that we have - to know what I should be changing.

Non-fussy feed:
    Baby acts hungry (rooting etc.), I put baby to breast. Baby sucks hard after letdown, for anywhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes.... then he starts sucking with little sucks. He may fall aslep, and I'll wake him by doing breast compressions or switching sides, burping him etc. Even if he isn't falling asleep, he'll suck with tiny little sucks and no audible swallowing for ages...none of the above helps for more than 2 or 3 sucks. Is he taking milk in this time? When am I meant to stop him from feeding? I've tried not stopping him and he can do these tiny sucks for 2 hours (that's the longest I've let him before taking him off). And even after that, he will root either right away or 5 minutes later, and act hungry. Surely this means I don't have enough milk? Now, I tend to take him off after 40 minutes or so, but like I said, sometimes he wants more not long after. I do want to feed on demand - but I need to be able to get dressed, go to the bathroom, tidy the house, go out to the grocery store etc.! What's going wrong???
    The only thing wrong is you thinking that long and/or frequent nursing sessions are abnormal or indicate something is wrong. They do not. If you do not want to sessions to be so long all the time, then I would suggest, if baby has fallen asleep, rather than making baby nurse longer, let baby go to sleep nursing, and when baby is well asleep, unlatch baby gently. Falling asleep while nursing is normal. If you have to stop the session to attend to your needs, then of course, stop the session as you need. But there is nothing inherently wrong with long sessions. They only indicate a possible issue IF baby is gaining poorly.

Fussy feed: When I put him to the breast, he only sucks right after the letdown, once the fast flow has stopped, he detaches, bobs his head back and forward, re-attaches, sucks a bit, slips off, fusses around, goes back on etc. It's like he only likes the fast flowing milk... and breast compressions etc. don't help here either. Is this also a sign of not enough milk???
    No. Again, assuming normal weight gain, this is a normal variation on nursing behavior. Babies get fussy at the breast just as they get fussy any other time. If baby does not want to nurse, he can stop. And if he wishes to nurse again in a short time, that is normal and fine and does NOT mean baby is not getting enough when he nurses. If baby is doing this you can try switching sides as well.

I would love to stop the formula and the pumping... but I don't know how to if I can't tell when he's hungry and how much he has had
    You tell how much a baby has had by weight gain. Do you doubt the accuracy of the weight checks you have had? Does your baby not appear to be gaining normally to you despite the numbers? This is a serious question. If weight checks have been done on different scales or have been done with poor accuracy whether due to scale or human error, and this does happen, then you cannot rely entirely on the weight checks. However, if they mostly have been done on the same scale, it is a professional infant scale, if baby is always weighed in the same type of measurements (Grams or ounces, for example) so math conversions are not at issue, and the nurse or doctor doing the check appears to be being careful, then weight checks are accepted as by far the very best way to tell if a baby is getting enough to eat to gain normally. And if a baby is getting enough to eat to gain normally, they are getting enough to eat. A baby who is not getting enough to eat does not gain normally.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    And here I was thinking this doesn't look like low supply at all. I guess we disagree on this one, tclynx! I see very similar patterns in my little guy with my abundant milk supply. The second description sounds like my lo when he needs to burp or when he was just a bit thirsty and wants something else now, like a change of scenery. The first description sounds like a newborn enjoying snuggles with his mama.
    Yep, I agree that the descriptions alone could indicate either way but with the supplementing as well seems to indicate milk transfer or supply issue.

Oh my goodness, things are getting worse

On Saturday, I had the most amazing milk supply and I have no idea why... and on top of that, baby was really going for the milk. He was sucking so well, for 20 mins on either side, I could hear swallowing the whole time. I've never had that before! I didn't need to supplement at all. But then, by Saturday night, my supply was going down... down... down... today I felt like there was hardly anything. I don't know what changed. I'm wondering if something hormonal is going on as I also started bleeding a little today... maybe my supply is too low to prevent me getting my period, so I got my period which in turn made my supply lower??? I have no idea.

I'm getting really depressed about this. Today the baby slept the whole time too, would harldy feed, only 5 mins at a time. It's like he's not interested in trying any more.

I tried to pump every 3 hours because he wasn't feeding properly, but only got 1oz total each time. Fed that back to him, let him nurse for a long time, but he wasn't sucking hard. Oh, and he chomped on me a few times and now I'm all sore....

By the evening I just kept him on me for hours, unsure what else to do, but then after four hours of intermittently nursing him and trying to use breast compressions and get some milk flowing, I gave up and gave him formula.

What on earth is making my supply SO BAD!? I thought breastfeeding would come naturally... I feel like everything is so disorganized, I need a 'boot camp' type schedule to get my supply going...

You had bleeding? How many days are you post partum? Are you sure it is not the last bit of post partum lochia?

Usually milk production simply does not behave the way you are describing. It is either enough or not enough (although it can be increased but this is usually gradual.) What milk production almost never does is go up one day and down the next. It CAN tend to feel like less in the evening or later afternoon, and more overnight or in the morning, not all moms experience this, but it is common. And, that is normal and does not mean there is not enough milk overall. But a sudden drop in production from one day to the next? Very odd.

Again, it is really hard to measure milk production by pump output and infant behavior. Weight gain is how milk production is best measured, output is another way but not as reliable, and before and after nursing weight checks are accurate (if done right) but only tell you what happened at that one session. Still altogether, those things should give you a clearer picture of what is going on.

Also, your baby WAS nursing some, right? yet you still managed to pump an ounce "extra" each time you pumped. That does not sound like poor pump output to me. How much do you expect to pump between or after nursing sessions? or was baby not nursing at all during that period?

To me it makes perfect sense for a baby to nurse lots and lots one day and then nurse less enthusiastically the next. The only weird red flag that something unusual is going on is the bleeding. This would be really early for a breastfeeding mom to get her period, no matter what her milk production. However, it does happen, and it can even happen if breastfeeding and milk production are fine. Period at 6 weeks happened to one of my co-Leaders who never had issues with milk production.

I think it is important that a breastfeeding session be assessed again by your IBCLC.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 3rd, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

This is exactly how my lo acts during and after one of his growth spurts. Lots of nursing and alertness followed by a very sleepy day. Five minutes is plenty of time for a baby to nurse and get an adequate meal. What do you mean by ' felt ' your supply go down? The feel of your breasts does not indicate the amount of supply you have. Nor does baby cluster feeding for several hours. That is very typical newborn nursing behavior. Lo and I are just past this stage. I started to doubt myself many times but armed with the knowledge of normal newborn behavior and milk production we got through the rough patches without a drop of formula. Even though my lo fussed like crazy and my breasts felt empty, he gained. Trust yourself!
    Oh and I did get my cycle back at six weeks with my first. Some mothers do find their supply lower slightly during ovulation and some find supplementing with calcium/magnesium to help. If you're still worried, call your ob to get checked out.