Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much expressed milk per bottle?

Default How much expressed milk per bottle?

Hi everyone.. my son is 2 months old, im now back at work for about 3 weeks and pumping. I have been leaving 4 2.5oz bottles with his caregiver (in-laws). and they feel this isnt enough milk. when nursing my son eats just about every 2 hours/about 10 time a day. Im not sure if i should up his bottles to 3oz (would he still eat every 2 hours?) When my sister watches him she seems to do fine with feeding him 3 bottles of 2.5oz. Part of me feels they just want to feed him at every noise he makes... but im not sure when the right time would be to up his bottles, and would this affect him nursing every 2 hours?
    thanks everyone!!
    carla

Default Re: How much expressed milk per bottle?

How long are your work separations, mama? The general rule of thumb is that baby will need 1 to 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation, so if you are separated for 8 hours, 10 oz of milk seems pretty reasonable. Are your in laws doing paced bottle feeds and following baby's feeding cues?

Something to keep in mind is that baby will never realistically need his bottles "upped" from this point onward. Unlike formula fed infants, who will generally need larger and larger amounts in their bottles, after 6 weeks of age or so, baby's total daily intake of breastmilk will stay the same.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

make sure the inlaws understand and use paced bottle feeding. If they are just pouring the bottles into him without any pauses, then it will seem like he could take a large amount and still seem hungry. That is NOT supportive of breastfeeding.

Most moms find sending small bottles plus 1 oz top ups if needed works better

Hey, I make sure to feed him around 6am.. i drop him off for 6:30 and i pick him up around 3:45pm.. I feel like they are just feeding him at exactly every 2 hours or at any little fuss he makes.. I did explain to them that they will know when he is hungry and not to just feed at every 2 hours... Its hard not being there!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla1331 View Post
    Hey, I make sure to feed him around 6am.. i drop him off for 6:30 and i pick him up around 3:45pm.. I feel like they are just feeding him at exactly every 2 hours or at any little fuss he makes.. I did explain to them that they will know when he is hungry and not to just feed at every 2 hours... Its hard not being there!!
    Offering to feed at every little fuss isn't as big a problem as if they are not doing paced bottle feeding or if they are pushing him to finish the bottles. At least if you send small bottles and small top ups, they have to pause to top up the bottle. If you are sending large bottles and they don't do paced bottle feeding he can easily wind up over eating and it can become very hard for you to keep up with supplying the bottles and he may also not be as interested in eating when you are together which makes it even more difficult to keep up your supply.

thanks everyone i guess i will stick with 2.5oz bottles!

I send along 1 oz for each hour separated. My baby won't eat more. We are separated from 10-5:30 and I feed at about 5:45-6 and send along around 8 oz. I send whatever I pump the day before, and it's never the exact same amount so between 7.5-9oz.

You can send an ounce per hour and the rest in frozen bags so it'll take more effort to rewarm so they won't be so quick to push and you know your baby has more if he ever wants.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

I have a problem with bottle feeding too.

My 2 month LO was born 7lbs 14oz, we went to the MD last week and she's now 13lbs 4oz. I was offering her 3-4oz per feed and she would eat every 2hrs. The MD said the amount is fine but make sure I stick to every 2hrs and not less so she can empty her stomach completely due to reflux. I then switched to only feeding her 3oz per feed and sticking to 2hrs in between. But now, I feel like she's losing weight. Should I be concerned? I read that you're only feeding your LO 2.5oz, is 3oz. still too much?

I would think that whether you're EP or not, the idea is the same - you feed when baby wants to eat, and as much as they want to eat. Most babies eat an average of 25 oz. per day; if you're feeding your daughter at 2 hour intervals, I wouldn't expect her to take more than 2-3 oz. at each feeding. Kellymom has a great page that talks about how much expressed milk an infant requires... I'd suggest starting there.

You don't mention what makes you think she's losing weight... she's nearly doubled her birth weight by 2 months, and that's awesome. My daughter just doubled hers at 4 months! And just remember that doctors are really, really not trained well in nutrition, and specifically in infant nutrition. That part of their education is seriously lacking.

I'm worried that now she's going to start losing weight since she gained so much even the dr was surprised. Kellymom has recommended only feeding a max of 2.77oz per feed and I have gone way over that. And even with paced-feeding she just seems to want more. I have tried giving her a pacifier after but she spits it out and cries so I automatically assume she's still hungry.