Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overactive let-down and clogged ducts on one side

Default Overactive let-down and clogged ducts on one side

I have been breastfeeding my one month old baby all the way. I have overactive let-down on both sides but on my right, I can squeeze out some milk onto a washcloth before the feeding session and then feed normally. On my left though, the over active let-down continues for at least the first ten minutes of the session causing my baby to scream and fuss. I have tried to lie down and feed but this makes my baby uncomfortable and also is a temporary solution. I also have clogged ducts and blisters on my left side. The clogged ducts go away after using warm compresses during the feeding session but always come back before the next session.

1. I have been trying the block feeding method since last afternoon to reduce milk production on my left side. I have only been feeding on my right because of which my left side is hard as a rock and hurts a lot. Is this the right approach? Will it cause more clogged ducts? What do I do next?

2. Will the above technique cause my right side to produce more milk and eventually lead to clogged ducts?

3. How will I know when to stop block feeding? Will my left side soften? Will the clogged ducts resolve themselves?

Default Re: Overactive let-down and clogged ducts on one side

Careful with block feeding since it can be too effective at reducing milk production if you are not careful.
    Hopefully some one will provide some links to articles about block feeding.

My understanding is that feeding frequently can actually help with OALD and minimize the problems with engorgement and risk of plugs.

1. I have been trying the block feeding method since last afternoon to reduce milk production on my left side. I have only been feeding on my right because of which my left side is hard as a rock and hurts a lot. Is this the right approach? Will it cause more clogged ducts? What do I do next?
    As the PP said, you want to be cautious with block feeding. It is possible to reduce supply too much. You also do not want to leave the left side completely unused- maintaining some milk flow through that side is important to preventing plugged ducts and mastitis. So please do nurse on that side at least some of the time.

2. Will the above technique cause my right side to produce more milk and eventually lead to clogged ducts?
    Nursing exclusively on the right could result in increased production on that side. But I wouldn't worry about this too much. Managing oversupply is an art, not a science. So if nursing more on the right results in increased production, you can always go back to what you were doing before.

3. How will I know when to stop block feeding? Will my left side soften? Will the clogged ducts resolve themselves?
    You should be experiencing less engorgement/fullness, and your baby will finish one breast and still be hungry.

The clogged ducts may or may not resolve. It sort of depends what is causing them- is it latching problems? Is it blisters? Is is the overproduction itself?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your replies. I too was not sure if block feeding for long duration was the right approach. To help with the plugged ducts, I massaged the breast under a hot shower and then rubbed the white dots at the tip of the nipple using a wet wash cloth before pumping some milk from my left side. That has relieved some pain. I plan to repeat this process until all the ducts have been cleared and try block feeding only after that. Please let me know if this would be the right way to solve the problem. I will keep you guys updated here.

I expect Meg will come along with links about block feeding, it is only appropriate if your problem really is overproduction and not just OALD.

Here you go: block nursing http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/tag/block-feeding and http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html

here are tips on dealing with plugs http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf and http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

and here is a thread of a mom going thru something similar http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...d-duct-or-lump

As mommal points out, Plugs happen, not because of overproduction, but because milk is not being removed from the breasts adequately enough and/or frequently enough (and also, some moms are simply more prone to them than others.) When dealing with both overproduction and plugs, it is a bit of a dance figuring out how best to approach it. The way I usually look at is that the more immediate issue is the plugs, so doing what needs to be done for those , even if it increases production temporarily, is ok. But this may not be the case in every situation.