Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: slow flow, fast flow or just fussy?

Default slow flow, fast flow or just fussy?

I have posted recently about some nursing troubles with my little guy, who's baby #2. He's a month old today. My LC had me taking fenugreek because he was damaging me really badly on one side because she thought the milk was too slow. I tried to decrease the amount of fenugreek, and he started refusing that side again, so I upped it again. Now I can't tell if he's acting like both sides have too fast of a flow. He pulls his head back and twists his body a lot -- but on both sides! Once in a while he sounds like he chokes, but it is usually after a few minutes, so may be due to just frantic nursing. I can't tell if his tugging is a fast flow type or a slow flow type -- it almost seems like both at times. I don't have any spray when he comes off. On the formerly slow side, he pulls off more often (sometimes staying latched on as he pulls off -- ouch). This happens mostly in the evening/night, but during the day he does this, too. So I can't tell if it's just evening fussiness, too.

I have cut back on the fenugreek and am waiting to see what happens. When I try to remedy one of the situations (somewhat laid-back nursing, for example, in case of fast flow, or compressions in case of slow flow) it doesn't seem to help and for all I know I'm making it worse!

My biggest issues is I'm still trying to heal my wounds (both sides injured -- basically been shirtless for a month with little improvement), and now he's started this method of hurting me just as I was hoping things were improving! I went through months of evening colic with my daughter, so this is better so far, but still painful and frustrating. I have to keep breaking his latch when he starts tugging, and often have to take a short break and hand him to my husband so I don't lose it!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Default Re: slow flow, fast flow or just fussy?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    I have posted recently about some nursing troubles with my little guy, who's baby #2. He's a month old today. My LC had me taking fenugreek because he was damaging me really badly on one side because she thought the milk was too slow. I tried to decrease the amount of fenugreek, and he started refusing that side again, so I upped it again. Now I can't tell if he's acting like both sides have too fast of a flow. He pulls his head back and twists his body a lot -- but on both sides! Once in a while he sounds like he chokes, but it is usually after a few minutes, so may be due to just frantic nursing. I can't tell if his tugging is a fast flow type or a slow flow type -- it almost seems like both at times. I don't have any spray when he comes off. On the formerly slow side, he pulls off more often (sometimes staying latched on as he pulls off -- ouch). This happens mostly in the evening/night, but during the day he does this, too. So I can't tell if it's just evening fussiness, too.

I have cut back on the fenugreek and am waiting to see what happens. When I try to remedy one of the situations (somewhat laid-back nursing, for example, in case of fast flow, or compressions in case of slow flow) it doesn't seem to help and for all I know I'm making it worse!

My biggest issues is I'm still trying to heal my wounds (both sides injured -- basically been shirtless for a month with little improvement), and now he's started this method of hurting me just as I was hoping things were improving! I went through months of evening colic with my daughter, so this is better so far, but still painful and frustrating. I have to keep breaking his latch when he starts tugging, and often have to take a short break and hand him to my husband so I don't lose it!
    I'm not sure that the clamping down and pulling/stretching the nipple behavior is really related to flow necessarily. Mine does it and often times I think he is doing it because of slow flow since I have low supply issues but sometimes he does it even when I'm using the SNS or when there is a let down and there is flow though I don't think my flow would ever be enough to cause choking.

I wish I knew what could be done about it since it is hard on the boobies. Mine even sometimes braces his arms against me and pushes himself back while remaining latched like he is trying to pull the milk out by brute force, I guess I'm lucky I'm stretchy.

Thanks for that! You know, this a.m., after LO didn't nurse on one side very much during the night and it was pretty engorged/full, he didn't seem to have much problem with the flow. He may have backed his head up a tiny bit (which is what I recognize as a minor fast flow). Mine does the bracing against me, as well. He also punches and kicks me in the boobs, which already hurt! I try to let him fuss for a little bit to see if he'll calm down, but once he starts hurting me I have to take him off. Sometimes he pulls off and then screams bloody murder, then won't latch on, then will after a few seconds. Babies are so weird sometimes!

You may be right and maybe this is just fussiness -- what you say about the SNS is interesting. Since I had so much trouble in the beginning on one side due to low flow, it's making me obsessive with trying to get the fenugreek and pumping just right. I'm trying to be less obsessive since it's my second, but nursing does make me (and many people I know) obsessive. I guess it's a survival instinct. I feel like before I know it I'll be going back to work having only watched TV, nursed and obsessed!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Do you do breast compressions when you think it might be slow flow?

I know about obsessive!!!! My past 4 1/2 months have been about almost nothing BUT feeding the baby. Feeling like I've tried almost everything, when I got a good recommendation about an acupuncturist I called and made an appointment.
    I just had an acupuncture appointment this morning and I'm cautiously saying I think it may have really helped, I have the 2nd appointment coming Monday morning since she says it takes two treatments.

I do compressions, but sometimes that's when he tugs, so that's why I wasn't sure if I was making the situation worse. I try to not do them during fussy time too much now.

We went to the pediatrician today and little man has gained almost 2 lbs in a month, so he's obviously nursing well. Just hurting me. The doctor even laughed that he might be "overeating" -- not like that's a problem, just that maybe I don't have to worry about his nursing so much, other than his not hurting me. He also recommended probiotics, and said sometimes it helps with the 6 to 11 p.m. fussiness. No one said that with my daughter 2.5 years ago (same practice, different doctor) so I'm going to try that once I get out to get some.

I didn't know about acupuncture for nursing issues, but have used it for other issues, one being anxiety and stress! Good luck!

I think the acupuncture may have already helped me quite a bit with my Rt breast which has most of the supply but hurts the most when he nurses normally (big nipple getting compressed and horribly stretched and creased) It almost looked normal after nursing just now. That side has felt congested, for lack of a better term, for the past couple weeks.