Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poop less seedy after taking stored breast milk

Default poop less seedy after taking stored breast milk

My 10 week-old girl has always had the typical yellow and seedy poop. The frequency has also reduced to 2 or 3 times a day but with larger amount recently, compared to the first few weeks. However I returned to work this week, and she has started to take pumped breast milk stored in the fridge. Her poop has become less seedy although still yellow, and she also poops more often. I'm worried if our way of taking pumped breast milk is not right? Does it imply she is not taking enough hindmilk? She is reluctant to take the bottle, and always fusses for about 5-10 min before taking the bottle. So she did end up nursing less frequently in the day. Does this mean anything? Thanks!

Default Re: poop less seedy after taking stored breast milk

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I seriously doubt the change in poops is a sign of any problem. Also, a baby "not getting enough hindmilk" is probably never a problem. All breastmilk is good for babies and contains the nutrition and fats a baby needs. I know there are sources that suggest this is problem, and I would really like to dispel this myth!

However, it is very important for a baby to be given bottles in a breastfeeding supportive way. This has nothing to do with the milk's fat consistency, but rather, is done to ensure baby is not overfed with bottles, or fed in a way they have little control of how much they take in at one feeding. These are real concerns because they can negatively impact the breastfeeding relationship.

more on bottle feeding the breastfed baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

with LLLMeg!

I just want to add my voice to the "stop worrying about hindmilk" chorus. Foremilk and hindmilk are convenient terms, but they miss all the nuance and they make moms worry for nothing! We don't make foremilk and hindmilk. Just milk. At the beginning of the feeding, the milk is relatively higher in carbohydrate and water and relatively lower in fat. As the breast empties, the milk becomes gradually higher in fat. But at no point is there an abrupt switchover from one type of milk to the other!

Both my kids' poops eventually changed in consistency, going from seedy/curdy in the newborn stage to much smoother, more yogurt-y looking, by a couple of months old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks a lot, lllmeg and mommal!
    initially I was worried that the fat content did not get transferred to the bottle from the storage bag properly, since I cannot completely empty the bag when pouring.

thanks for pointing out the bottle-feeding issues! I only learnt how to have a good latch-on but did not think of how to properly give a bottle...

initially I was worried that the fat content did not get transferred to the bottle from the storage bag properly, since I cannot completely empty the bag when pouring.
    Yes I wondered if this was your concern. Fat does tend to get stuck to the sides of the container, but I very much doubt it would be enough to be a problem. You might find ideas for this issue in the work and pump forum.