Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussing during feed

Default Fussing during feed

My son is 5 months old and recently started fussing in the middle of feeding. This has been occurring in the afternoon for about 2 weeks but doesn't happen with every feed. About 8-10 mins after feeding on my left side he will push away and begin to scream or stay latch and start pulling and fussing aggressively. Any idea as to what this could be. I have been just switching him to the other side because he will latch there no problem. If I try and switch him back a while later sometime he will fuss but sometimes he will relatch. I don't want my supply to decrease on this side because he isn't nursing on it as long. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!!!

Default Re: Fussing during feed

Older infants often get quite efficient and fast at feeding--an 8-10 minute feed on just one side sounds like a pretty long feed for a 5 month old, in my experience. Even if baby once took much longer to feed off one side, as long as baby is maintaining diaper output, etc., it's probable that your baby is just finishing that side faster than he used to!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Default Re: Fussing during feed

Is he still hungry after finishing the right side when you try to put him back to the left? If your left side is suffering from lower supply you might try pumping or hand expressing on that side after breastfeeding which might help if he is fussing about slow flow on that side.