Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance Help.

Default Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance Help.

I have been reading about this imbalance and am almost certain we are having this problem. My baby is super gassy, fussy, has green explosive poops, and when I get a chance to pump the milk separates and has very little thick fatty milk at the top. How do I begin to correct this? Should I feed him from the same breast several times? What if he still acts hungry? Or should I try pumping before I nurse?

Default Re: Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance Help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adwilson View Post
    I have been reading about this imbalance and am almost certain we are having this problem. My baby is super gassy, fussy, has green explosive poops, and when I get a chance to pump the milk separates and has very little thick fatty milk at the top. How do I begin to correct this? Should I feed him from the same breast several times? What if he still acts hungry? Or should I try pumping before I nurse?
    is he is not in pain and is gaining weight properly, then the whole foremilk/hindmilk thing is actually a non issue. Let him finish the first breast first, then take the second breast if he wants. Don't block nurse unless you really have Very Bad oversupply and don't do it without doing more research. I'm sure some one else will provide a link.

hello adwilson
    we are in the same boat.. how old is your baby? my baby is 10 weeks old and for past two weeks his bowel movements are green color and i am so worried about that.. he is gassy but i don see anyother change.. but i don't know how he is gaining because before my 2 months check up i did not know that i have this issue because i was pumping.. when i stopped pumping this issue popped up..
    even i don't know whether should i block nurse because my baby doesn't empty my single breast in a single session.. what is extreme oversupply to block nurse? does your milk spray when baby unlatches? my milk sprays when he unlatches? i need advice on this too

I can only speak from my own experience. My breasts were hard, full of milk, and did not ever get soft. Milk sprayed everywhere when I nursed, and baby choked on the letdown. She was gassy and fussy (poops were extremely liquid, sometimes looking like pee, but rarely green). Of course gassy and fussy is relative for a baby, I mean all babies do fuss sometimes and pass gas. She did huge burps like a rude adult. I guessed that I had OS, OALD and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

I started nursing from just one breast at a time (formerly I was switching after 10 min as recommended by the nurses at the hospital).
    Then I did block feeding in 2 or 3 hour blocks (can't remember). For me, the block feeding was the first time in a month that my breasts actually became soft. It helped reduce my oversupply (though OALD continued for more than a year…baby just got used to it). It also coincided with baby becoming much less fussy and gassy. Her poops did not really change. Cause and effect? Who knows. I tend to think so.

You want to be careful about block feeding; it is meant to reduce your supply so don't do it if you don't think you have too much milk!

one other thing - even after my baby has finished nursing I can always squeeze out more milk - the breast never completely empties. But when we talk about emptying the breast it means that the breast feels soft, something like it did before you got pregnant.

hello pteroglossus.. thanks for your reply.. yes my breasts feel soft after feeding.. i am still confused whether to block nurse or no.. his poops are green and seedy or pasty..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    is he is not in pain and is gaining weight properly, then the whole foremilk/hindmilk thing is actually a non issue. Let him finish the first breast first, then take the second breast if he wants.

For moms considering block nursing, you want to be 100% sure that you have an oversupply, because the way block nursing corrects foremilk/hindmilk "imbalance" is by reducing supply. It is possible to go too far, and end up with low supply! In order to determine whether or not you have an oversupply, look over the following list. If you have some or all of the listed symptoms, AND the baby is gaining weight very well, you might want to block feed. But if you have few of the listed symptoms or the baby is not gaining weight well, you definitely want to avoid block feeding.

Symptoms of oversupply:
    - Mom feels engorged and/or full fairly frequently, even when baby isn't going too long between feedings
    - Mom may feel strong letdowns (if she is a mom who experiences the letdown sensation)
    - Mom may leak a lot
    - Mom may be able to pump a lot of milk with ease, if she is pumping
    - Baby may gag, cough, splutter, cluck, or click while nursing
    - Baby may pull off the breast while nursing, and if this happens, mom may observe milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - Baby may gain weight very rapidly
    - Baby's poops may be frequently of consistently green
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks mommal.. i have most of the symptoms u have explained.. i don't know about his weight gain.. i don't feel engorged all the time but if he sleeps before 12:30pm i am engorged in the morning because of that i get pretty quickly engorged all day due to more milk in breast because he would not empty it in single feed(i can feed him twice on the same breast).. moreover morning he usually goes for 2-3 hour gaps.. so i feel pretty engorged... i am so confused what to do with that.. his poops are green and seedy.. i would love some advice..yest he slept at 11:45 and woke up at 3:45AM my both breasts were full and my right breasts was engorged..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nivilovely View Post
    . i have most of the symptoms u have explained.. i don't know about his weight gain..
    Okay, so before you start block feeding, you want to know for sure that his weight gain is normal or above average. So how about stopping by the doctor's office for a weigh-in? (Remember, all weights should be done with baby in the nude and using the same scale every time.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@mommal ok i have ordered for an infant weigh scale since you said he should be measured in a same scale i will try to sneak in..