Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby and allergen s

Default baby and allergen s

Im seriously at a loss. My baby is 10 weeks old and has allergies to the food I eat. I gave up all dairy (even hidden sources), fried foods, spicy foods, caffeine, chocolate, peanut butter, gassy veggies like broccoli, over a month ago as per her pediatrician's advice. Her baby acne cleared up like a dream. But then she began getting very colicy: screaming and crying with tummy pains, brought her to the doctor and medicine didn't work. Also her stools became more and more mucusy. So after a couple weeks if her screaming in pain and the doc not helping much, I did some research and found out that soy could also be a big allergen. So last Monday I began to be soy free and I saw an immediate difference in my dd. She was still very gassy but she was no longer screaming and crying. Then I began to notice day after day that her stools were becoming less and less mucusy! She was beginning to spit up less and even going longer between feeds! I started to get so excited thinking I finally found the answer, yes it had only been a few days but I saw a dramatic difference immediately. Then yesterday at 3am she started havibg bloody diarrhea! I brought her to the hospital and did tests and sent the stool sample off to get tested and while the full report is not complete they said it tested positive for allergens! I don't know what to do now. Ive been so careful. I eat very healthy now. And She never had bloody stools before! At her last doc appt last Thursday her doc put her on iron supplement drops which the docs said could have been the reason for the diarrhea (I gave then to her friday, but went away for the weekend and then gave them again sunday and Monday) its the only thing that changed but what about the blood? I really want to ebf so bad, but I don't want to be hurting my dd. I don't know what else I could eliminate esp since nothing in my diet changed! someone please help

Default Re: baby and allergen s

so you gave up all sorts of thins all at once and now you are not sure exactly what she responded to other than soy?
    Is she still EBF?
    Could it be illness? Traveling makes it easy to pick up an illness (especially through water supplies when using formula.)

My LO actually seems to get screaming bad tummy pain from the "hypoallergenic" formula our first ped told us to supplement with. I have a feeling it is the corn syrup solids it has as the first ingredient.

But anyway, elimination diets need to deal with one type of food at a time because you can't survive if you eliminate everything indefinitely. Hopefully one of the others here will post the link with info about how to deal with elimination diets. You might want to research stuff like wheat gluten too. Keep in mind that some of the problem sensitivities may not actually be allergies but rather intolerance or the inability to digest certain things.

I know she responded to dairy and soy and caffiene. But I just gave the rest up bc her pediatrician said it was for the best I don't supplement and really don't want to ever give her formula. That's why im doing all this im determined to make this work. Honestly lately Im glad I dont eat those things anymore I feel better and it is help ing with the preg weight. I eat plenty still just all fruits and vegetables, beef and chicken or fish (really any Meat) and regular instant oatmeal. If im really wantinh to snack I eat lays potatoechips plain. It has really got my taste pallet to change and being a life long chubby very unhealthy eater, its teaching me toreally pay attention to what I put in my mouth.
    I just don't know what could be hurting her now? I mean she was beginning to do so much better! Then this. She hasnt had anymore bloody stools since yesterday morning, and I ate pretty much the same things. But idk I need to make her better. It could still be a bacterial infection they will have the results tomorrow but we already know it tested positive for allergy. Could that be a result of the left over soy in our systems? I believe o read it may take a month to leave fully. But if that blood is a result of allergy then it can't be theleft over soy. Even at the worst, she never had blood in her stools! I just need help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joliesmommy View Post
    I know she responded to dairy and soy and caffiene. But I just gave the rest up bc her pediatrician said it was for the best I don't supplement and really don't want to ever give her formula. That's why im doing all this im determined to make this work. Honestly lately Im glad I dont eat those things anymore I feel better and it is help ing with the preg weight. I eat plenty still just all fruits and vegetables, beef and chicken or fish (really any Meat) and regular instant oatmeal. If im really wantinh to snack I eat lays potatoechips plain. It has really got my taste pallet to change and being a life long chubby very unhealthy eater, its teaching me toreally pay attention to what I put in my mouth.
    I just don't know what could be hurting her now? I mean she was beginning to do so much better! Then this. She hasnt had anymore bloody stools since yesterday morning, and I ate pretty much the same things. But idk I need to make her better. It could still be a bacterial infection they will have the results tomorrow but we already know it tested positive for allergy. Could that be a result of the left over soy in our systems? I believe o read it may take a month to leave fully. But if that blood is a result of allergy then it can't be theleft over soy. Even at the worst, she never had blood in her stools! I just need help
    Do you eat anything with Gluten or wheat? My cousin's oldest Son has a severe gluten intolerance and nearly died before they figured it out, he is now a teenager. I hate to suggest it and I wouldn't go to further steps if she isn't having more symptoms right now till after you find out what the tests say. But if she is so sensitive to soy then I wonder about corn and wheat too (those being some of the worst culprits of GMO besides sugar beet and canola.)

Oh and with the extreme allergies/sensitivities, you probably HAVE to breast feed since I'm not sure if there are any formula that are completely safe from all allergy problems. Keep in mind that sometimes babies outgrow these allergies/sensitivities and it is really fairly rare for babies to actually be allergic to something passed into breast milk from the mother's diet though I'm sure you didn't want to be special in that way.

Hang in there, I'm sure you will get it figured out soon.
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; July 23rd, 2014 at 06:55 PM.

Then yesterday at 3am she started havibg bloody diarrhea!
    I'm so sorry, mama. That must have been very scary! Can you describe the poop a little more? Were you seeing streaks or flecks of blood? Or was this poop where the entire stool was red? Was it something you might describe as looking like currant jelly?

I brought her to the hospital and did tests and sent the stool sample off to get tested and while the full report is not complete they said it tested positive for allergens!
    This seems odd to me. Allergens are just things that people are allergic to. Dust is an allergen. Pollen is an allergen. Peanut butter is an allergen. So test anyone's poop and it's going to have some form of allergen in it, even if it's just pollen picked up from the air! Did the hospital mean that the baby's poop showed evidence of allergy, and if so, what exactly were they seeing? Eosinophils?

And She never had bloody stools before! At her last doc appt last Thursday her doc put her on iron supplement drops which the docs said could have been the reason for the diarrhea (I gave then to her friday, but went away for the weekend and then gave them again sunday and Monday) its the only thing that changed but what about the blood?
    Some things to know about bloody poops:
    1. They can come and go. You might see them once and never again, or you might see them consistently for weeks and weeks.
    2. Bloody poops don't necessarily show up immediately after you or baby ingest the problem food. It might take a few hours or it might take a few days before you see a response in the poop.
    3. They are freaky but not necessarily a health problem. For most babies, they are something to watch carefully but not to freak out about.
    4. If they are caused by allergy, then you and your baby's caregivers should be up on the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine's protocol for managing allergic proctocolitis: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

I really want to ebf so bad, but I don't want to be hurting my dd.
    How's her weight gain? As long as that is normal, you are NOT hurting her by nursing!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Weight gain is slow but steady, doctor is happy with it. Born at 7.8 went down to 6.15 and is now at 9,
    The poop was black (which im told is due to the iron supplement drops I just start ed giving her) and very mucusy/slimy. Streaks of blood. Im not sure what they tested for they said it tested positive for allergies and was saying it was probably something I ate. Im not really sure if her ped is really knowledgeable about bf but I know the hospital docs arent really. I live in a state that isnt verybig on bf and not many peopledo. But thanks for them link I was check Iit out

Im reading the document and it says something about continuing to take vitamins likr all breastfeeding mothers are instructed to do...ive never been told this. Am I supposed to be taking vitamins? ?

Mothers are typically instructed to continue prenatals if they are breastfeeding. But not all mothers do (not all mothers take prenatals during pregnancy either- I never could, as they always made me throw up.) If a mother has a healthy diet and is not deficient in some vitamin or mineral there is no particular reason to take vitamins.

Breastfeeding from their mom and moms breastmilk are almost never contraindicated for a baby. Ever. Even if baby is reacting to allergens in mothers diet, breastfeeding can continue. As far as exclusive breastfeeding, if a baby is not gaining normally exclusively breastfed, and this is due to baby not being able to get enough milk from mom, sometimes supplements are needed. These can be formula or the milk of another mother.

I suggest reading this info from doctors about allergens in breastmilk: http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 23rd, 2014 at 09:06 PM.