Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it silent reflux?

Default Is it silent reflux?

I just recently learned about silent reflux, and because our daughter doesn't spit up much, it never occurred to me that reflux might the the cause of some of her discomfort. We have our one-month well baby check tomorrow (well, today), and I want to try to be as informed as possible. We love our doc, and she's very BF friendly, but I'm concerned that because our daughter is gaining weight well and not spitting up much, we'll just be dismissed. Her symptoms:

• Grunting and writhing while sleeping on back. I originally thought this was just the way she started to wake up when she was hungry, but it can last an hour or more before she'll accept the breast.

• Liquidy sounding burps and hiccups. She also has hiccups constantly--12+ times a day.

• Hates (HATES!) being burped. No matter the position, she screams and wriths and arches her back while we do it.

• Falls asleep at the breast, but only for a bit. She'll doze off for 5-10 minutes, but then wake up screaming after eating. She'll immediately fall back asleep if I put her up on my chest/shoulder or put her upright in a carrier (and sleep for hours).

• Has some gulping/gasping/raspy breathing sometimes.

• Occasional spitting up (maybe once or twice a day, if at all). But when it does happen, it can be hours after a feeding.

• And, if it's possible it's a genetic issue, her dad has severe GERD.

• In general, it just seems like she can't get comfortable during and after feedings sometimes. This is particularly bad at night. She seems to have a love/hate relationship with the breast. We've never had the "milk drunk" thing going on after eating. If she's still awake after eating, she generally just squirmy and a bit fussy.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track? I know doctors hate it when patients come in with pre-diagnoses from the interweb, but I figure going in informed is better than not!

After tonight's rough night, I'm going to try cutting some of the common reflux allergens from my diet (dairy, chocolate, caffeine) and see if that helps. Any other remedies I can expect my doctor to suggest?
    : : : : : : : : C A S S I E: : : : : : : :
    Wife to Craig
    MARRIED MARCH 17, 2007
    Mama to JuneBug
    BORN JUNE 21, 2014

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
    Check out my natural living blog, Back to Her Roots.

Default Re: Is it silent reflux?

It certainly fits with the symptoms. Cutting dairy and learning to nurse in a carrier so my son was upright during and immediately after a feeding with zero jostling positions were the two things that really helped with my youngest son's reflux. He'd already improved a bit and was gaining weight at twice the average weight so my doctor recommended time rather than medicine. If you don't already know them, find a list of all the names dairy hides under on food labels. I've screwed up a few times by not reading labels correctly. I notice a big difference in the quality of his sleep (the grunting that you mention) and his skin rash gets very inflamed each time. It makes for a very guilty mommy

You know what, now that you mention it, she's had a rash that I just thought was baby acne, but I wonder if it could be an allergy rash? It tends to clear up one day, and then be bad again the next (which could be based on my intake of whatever food she might be sensitive to). Wow, I feel terrible! All this time I thought all of her "things" were normal newborn ailments, and now I'm starting to realize I might be the culprit! Poor girlie.
    Wife to Craig
    MARRIED MARCH 17, 2007
    Mama to JuneBug
    BORN JUNE 21, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bebop543 View Post
    After tonight's rough night, I'm going to try cutting some of the common reflux allergens from my diet (dairy, chocolate, caffeine) and see if that helps. Any other remedies I can expect my doctor to suggest?
    I would say only eliminate one thing at a time, otherwise you will have a hard time eating well and being a fit mom. Like eliminate all dairy for 10-14 days and see if that helps and if it seems to, you then have a couple big glasses of milk and see if the problem comes back (since it could also be co-incidence.) If the problem does return with the return of milk to your diet then you found the culprit and keep dairy out for the time being. If the problem doesn't seem connected to milk, then put dairy back into your diet before eliminating something else. I hear about people who go trying to eliminate everything that might cause an issue all at once and they find it impossible and then if it works they have no way of knowing which thing or things actually were the problem while they slowly become depleted of nutrition from real food because they are afraid to add foods back in while trying to nourish their babies.

Just tell the Dr about all the symptoms and how you are wondering about reflux especially since daddy has GERD.

A nurse told me my oldest son's rash was also baby acne but it turned out to be related to his dairy intolerance. I'd brushed off my youngest's fussiness as normal behavior until he starting gagging one day while sleeping. My husband thought I was jumping into eliminating dairy untilhe finally saw the baby do it a week later.

Well, the pediatrician definitely thinks she has reflux (even without much spitting up) and gave us a prescription for Zantac. I brought up the thought that it could be a food sensitivity, and she told us that it's entirely possible (although, she does think the rash is baby acne—not an allergic thing). And that her recommendation would be to try the Zantac, and if it didn't work, try an elimination diet. I'm of the thought that I'd rather try it the other way around. I'm going to try eliminating common problem foods first, and see if that helps before giving her meds. I'm fine with giving her medication if it's really necessary, but if there is something I can do to fix it without the drugs, I'd much prefer that method.

Thanks, guys!
    Wife to Craig
    MARRIED MARCH 17, 2007
    Mama to JuneBug
    BORN JUNE 21, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bebop543 View Post
    Well, the pediatrician definitely thinks she has reflux (even without much spitting up) and gave us a prescription for Zantac. I brought up the thought that it could be a food sensitivity, and she told us that it's entirely possible (although, she does think the rash is baby acne—not an allergic thing). And that her recommendation would be to try the Zantac, and if it didn't work, try an elimination diet. I'm of the thought that I'd rather try it the other way around. I'm going to try eliminating common problem foods first, and see if that helps before giving her meds. I'm fine with giving her medication if it's really necessary, but if there is something I can do to fix it without the drugs, I'd much prefer that method.

Thanks, guys!
    Remember that elimination diets are going to take a long time to source the problem if it doesn't happen to be the first thing you try and even if it is the first thing you try, it will probably take 2 weeks to really be certain since you have to cut it out long enough to be sure it's cleared your system for some time and see if there is a marked improvement and if so you then have to add the food back in to make sure it wasn't just coincidence.

If the meds are going to work, they will likely work fairly quickly.

Allergies/sensitivities coming through mother's milk is actually not as common as many believe. Most small babies who have bad reactions to animal milk is through the Formula not from their moms. Now it is possible that cutting certain things out of your diet will improve things but don't go trying to cut out everything all at once since you can't survive if you cut out all possible allergies/sensitivities and you won't be able to tell which thing caused the problem or improved it.