Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting injuries

Default Biting injuries

Hello everyone!

I have a wonderful son who is almost 7 months old, and a great breastfeeder. I have been lucky enough to have a very easy breastfeeding journey, and all has gone smoothly...until my son got teeth! He has his two bottom front teeth, and right when they came in he bit me lightly a couple of times, but soon learned not to.

The other day, though, I think his belly was too full and I was trying to get him to nurse, and he sent me a message by biting HARD. He drew blood from my left breast, and I now have a small cut right at the base of the nipple. Small but EXTREMELY PAINFUL! Now every time he nurses on the left, it is absolutely excruciating, and to make things worse, the cut seems to be getting worse. Before it only hurt when he nursed, but now even my bra touching it is painful. I've had slight production issues in the left breast (my right breast overproduces and my left produces MUCH less), so I always make a big effort to have him nurse often on the left, but now it just hurts SO MUCH.

Any experience in this department? How can I get past this? Are there any special products I should be using to clean the cut so that it will heal faster?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Default Re: Biting injuries

Sorry about the bite, mama!

For cuts in the nipple area, my LC recommended a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and bacitracin antibiotic ointment to combat both inflammation and infection. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger.

Soaking the nipple before latching the baby on might help with pain, as hydrated scabs pull open less painfully than dry, hard ones. You might use a wet washcloth to soak the nipple, or just immerse it in a shot glass full of warm water for 30-60 seconds before nursing.