Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old twins...

Default 3 month old twins...

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my twins, but lately all they want to do is feed. I fear that I cannot keep up with them. I'm looking for a little encouragement to work through this phase. I have been considering supplementing, but I don't know a thing about bottle feeding. My eldest was breastfed for 14 months. Any advice is welcome.

Default Re: 3 month old twins...

I have had supply issues and a baby that has gotten kinda partial to fast flow from a bottle and those two things make trying to keep him breastfeeding difficult. I also use lactation aids to be able to supplement at the breast but they can be a pain to deal with the tubes and a 4 month old who likes to grab things.

Perhaps you should get the book, balancing breast and bottle as it has lots of suggestions about fining the right shape and flow bottle nipple and making sure baby's latch on the bottle nipple is good and supportive of continued breastfeeding. Of course at 3 months if your twins have never taken a bottle or pacifier, they might not be that interested and you may have to find another feeding method in order to supplement them.

3 months is notorious for increased feeding for a few days to a week, plus if you are somewhere hot they are probably just keeping hydrated.

I see no reason to doubt your supply, just hang on in there

The only time I would doubt supply is if other things are going on, failure to weight gain etc!

I would also say supplementing can diminish your supply too unless you are willing to pump so it isn't something to take lightly.
    Last edited by @llli*bsua65; July 23rd, 2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bsua65 View Post
    The only time I would doubt supply is if other things are going on, failure to weight gain etc!

I would also say supplementing can diminish your supply too unless you are willing to pump so it isn't something to take lightly.
    Soooo true, supplementing is often a very slippery slope and one that can take a heroic effort to even try to climb back up. If you don't pump when you supplement it often results in slow weaning onto whatever is being used as supplement so consider carefully if that is something you are ok with.

there is a forum section for nursing multiples or tandem nursing
    http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay....-More-Than-One
    there might be some suggestions there to help you.

Hang in there! You've been through this rodeo once already, so you remember how intense 3 months was with a singleton. Now you have 2 babies and an older child to chase- of course you're getting tired!

Are you feeding the babies together? All my friends who have twins say that it's the only way to go- feed both babies even if only one seems hungry. That way they end up in a similar routine...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"