Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is breast tissue pain normal? - No mastitis, hardness, lumps

Default Is breast tissue pain normal? - No mastitis, hardness, lumps

Hi - long time googler/lurker, first time poster

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it's normal:

I'm breastfeeding (exclusively) my almost 5-week old son. For the last 3 weeks or so I've experienced breast pain and tenderness in the breast itself (there's nipple pain too, but only in my right breast - comes and goes - my son is an aggressive nurser). Basically, my breasts are tender, almost like what I used to experience right before my menstrual period would start, but there is no hardness or lumps. The pain seems to be constant - no better or worse before or after feeding. The pain is worse when apply pressure, but I can feel a little pain when moving around - jogging or jumping. I think my little one drains my breasts pretty well; at least they feel very soft after feeding. I don't recall having this with my daughter, so I was wondering if it's normal. Any input?

Default Re: Is breast tissue pain normal? - No mastitis, hardness, l

I would say that no, pain is never 'normal." It is a sign of something. It may not be anything serious, but I still think it makes sense to get checked out.

Some sensitivity due to lactation? Sure. Your breasts are different now than before your pregnancy or even different from the early weeks of lactation, so activities like jumping around that may have been comfortable before may very well no longer be comfortable while lactating. But not pain. A mother who is lactating can have other breast issues that do not involve lactating just like any other woman. If this is pain that would have sent you to the doctor if you were NOT lactating, I think it makes sense to see a doctor now.

Thanks for your response lllmeg! It's not severe pain - very reminiscent of pre-period breast tenderness. It wouldn't send me to the doctor if I weren't lactating, because I'd attribute it to normal changes throughout the month; but can't blame it on that I'll call the dr.'s office tomorrow.

Actually I think it could be hormonal now that I think about it, but that is really beyond my knowledge. Also, sometimes moms make more milk second (third, fourth etc) time around and that may feel different? However since this is clearly different than what you experienced with your older child I think it is smart to make sure all is ok.