Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing the breast due to teething?

Default Refusing the breast due to teething?

My 6 month old refuses to nurse and is quite vocal about it. She arches her back, turns away, and screams as if I'm hurting her. I try to gently bring her head closer and she just fights and fights me. She is teething right now and I didn't know if this happens for others.

She has to take formula for medical reasons (and has done so since 2m old), so I wonder if she just prefers the feeling of the rubber nipple on her gums or just because the bottle is so much easier. She has always preferred the bottle, but would still nurse several times a day. Now she will only nurse when she's tired, 2-3 times a day.

We recently moved our family to another country so I'm wondering if all the transitions she has experienced are the reason too. She seems to have adjusted to the different time zone and frequent border crossing with neighboring countries.

Is it possible that she is done with nursing?

Default Re: Refusing the breast due to teething?

Babies under 12 months sometimes go on protracted nursing strikes, or even self-wean, but you do not need to accept refusals as a sign that you need to stop trying to get your baby to nurse. Babies who are exclusively breastfed almost always go back to the breast, because they don't really have another option. Babies who get bottles or lots of solids are often more difficult customers. This link has tips for getting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Thanks for the reply. I read the article and tried some of the tips. But she cries even when I try to bottle feed her in a nursing position. The Medela pump I brought with us overseas and I'm not sure it can be fixed. I tried hand expressing for 10 minutes yesterday and got half an ounce. Is that average? Shouldn't I be able to get more for 10 minutes? I just don't think hand expression is worth the time and effort for such a little result. I've tried everything and I have a feeling that breast feeding just won't be an option for my baby anymore. It has been an uphill battle since day one!

Sorry, that 3rd sentence should read, "The Medela pump I brought with us overseas isn't working..."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Babies under 12 months sometimes go on protracted nursing strikes, or even self-wean, but you do not need to accept refusals as a sign that you need to stop trying to get your baby to nurse. Babies who are exclusively breastfed almost always go back to the breast, because they don't really have another option. Babies who get bottles or lots of solids are often more difficult customers. This link has tips for getting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Thanks for sharing useful information.