Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Human Pacifier

Default Human Pacifier

Hello!
    My little One is almost 4 months old. We EBF for the first 7 weeks and then started taking BM from a bottle no problem. At 9 weeks I went back to work and pump and supply daycare. He's at daycare from 630am till about 420pm. We got into this routine where we'd come home from work and nurse for about an hour and then sleep for a few hours. At the time, I let him because he wasn't napping at all at daycare. After a few weeks at daycare he started taking naps so now when we get home, I let him nurse and nap for a little while but then wake him up so he sleeps longer at night. That is our normal schedule for when I'm working. When Im off from work, we have no schedule what so ever and I can hardly ever put him down. I somewhat feel that its because of daycare, being the only baby there, he is constantly aww'ed over and entertained. When we are at home, I try to entertain him and it lasts for a good 15 mins and he's bored. Alright we do different activities and it all leads to going back on the boob. Comfort Nursing. 95% of the time cause I listen and don't hear gulping. If I let him he"d be on the boob all day minus the mornings (hes a happy baby first thing and gets crankier as the day goes on) What can I do? Am I doing something wrong? I try several different things to make him happy before I offer the boob and he never turns me down. We never used an actual pacifier because I know the more he"s on the boob, the more milk comes in. Oh and he's a peach for daycare. Just a cranky baby for daddy and me. TIA!

Default Re: Human Pacifier

You're not doing anything wrong! Quite the contrary- you are doing everything right!!!

My guess is that what is happening is that when you are home from work the baby is taking the opportunity to reconnect with you in his absolute favorite way possible. This is normal and healthy! My only suggestions would be to roll with it- he will soon develop other ways of interacting with you and entertaining himself- and to get a sling so that you can nurse on the go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with everything mommal said. My baby never went to daycare but at 4 months she was nursing at least every hour. I carried her in the Ergo or sling all the time, and she was entertained by whatever I was doing…whether that was washing laundry, chatting with family, or going on a hike….but then she would want to nurse. So we had a lot of breaks, or I nursed in the sling while walking etc. It sounds great that your daycare has lots of older kids/adults to aww over your baby!

instinct may also be a part of it. The more he nurses and comfort sucks while you are together, the better your milk supply will be and the longer he will continue to get to nurse.

My 4 month old has days where he really doesn't want to be put down much at all.

Offer the boob first! I know it seems like he'll be this needy forever but really someday, all on his own, he'll entertain himself in other ways. My oldest truly disliked being held by anyone but me for basically the first year of his life. Now at three, if dh offers to take him somewhere, he runs out of the house without saying goodbye. I have to chase after him for a kiss. My youngest is three months old now and nurses every hour or more often less than that. He spends at least half his day in the ring sling or ergo. How much time do you spend outside? Hanging out in our backyard or going for a walk almost always calms down my little guy. Even if he still wants to nurse, at least it's a change of scenery for me.

I agree with all above-please don't think you are doing something wrong by meeting your baby's normal needs. Comfort nursing is an important and entirely normal part of the nursing relationship. We were designed to be able to comfort our babies this way, and a pacifier is a substitute for mom's breast, not the other way around.

Oh and he's a peach for daycare. Just a cranky baby for daddy and me.
    This reminds me of my experience- My kids (they are much older-in grade school) are angels at school and...well, lets just say, can be quite wild at home. According to their teachers, this is normal and HEALTHY (even though it drives me bonkers.) Baby may be cooed over at daycare but Home with mamma and daddy is where a baby gets most of their deepest needs for unconditional love met, even if they are crying and cranky, as all babies must be, some of the time. What you are doing is fostering healthy attachment, which is so important. I think it sounds like you are a loving mom and your baby knows it, and loves and trusts you.

I like that the British term for a pacifier is a "dummy" -- as in, you're the real thing, the pacifier is just a fake. Nothing is as entertaining for a four month old as nursing! Baby tied to the boob doesn't have to mean mom tied to the house, though. Four months and exclusively nursing is a great time to take him basically anywhere. Compared to trying to go out to dinner with other grownups, or to a museum, or so on with a toddler, enjoy the portability of a little one.

I have a 4 month old as well, and we are having a problem with this, too. I work 3 days a week (usually...this last week I picked up a couple of extra half days...won't do that again!) and when I'm home and at night I have been nursing on demand; to eat, sleep, comfort, etc. He does really well when I'm home and I don't mind being used as a "pacifier." However, he has days (a lot more lately since his first 2 teeth came in and he's teething more) where when I'm at work, he wants to comfort nurse and the boobs have of course gone with me to work. My poor husband tries absolutely everything to comfort him; turning the lights low, rocking him, pacifier, bouncing on the exercise ball, walking around for an hour, etc and it's getting more frequent where the baby will just literally scream and scream for 30-60 minutes of this demanding boobs that aren't there. DH has resorted to overfeeding once this week which was the only thing that calmed him down so he can sleep, although we want to avoid that of course. Any suggestions? DH thinks I should stop comfort/sleep nursing him when I'm home so he gets used to other modes of comfort, but I'm afraid of losing out on the extra stimulation for supply and also find it hard to stop him when he's eating then falls asleep. Today I pulled him off when I could tell he had stopped eating and put a pacifier in his mouth then rocked him for a minute... he cried for a minute then fell asleep. I held him for the first half hour of his nap so at least he got the closeness of me, but we are just at a loss. I feel awful that DH (and soon my in-laws) and baby have to go through such torture emotionally while I'm at work because we are breastfeeding exclusively. Any suggestions to help are greatly appreciated! Breastfeeding really is meant for mom and baby to be together all the time... this working and keeping up breastfeeding is harder than I thought it would be.

Yep. It's a good thing. The more IRL breastfeeding you guys do on the weekends, the less likely your supply is to take a hit. Keep up the good work.

Way too lazy for formula