Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Outing with breast milk bottle?

Default Outing with breast milk bottle?

I'm new here and I'm still learning to feel comfortable breastfeeding. I always use a pillow at home when I breastfeed and can't imagine doing it in public without one. How would I travel for a short outing with a breastmilk bottle? I have a freezer supply but how can I get it ready prior if it's only supposed to be at room temp for so long? Help please!

Default Re: Outing with breast milk bottle?

This doesn't answer your question because I've never taken a breastmilk bottle anywhere, but can't you take a pillow with you in public? Do you mean a regular pillow or a special breastfeeding pillow? I have seen lots of mums in public with breastfeeding pillows. So maybe that would work for you.

http://gentleparentinfo.com/BadassPu...astfeeder.html
    hHere's a great class for tips on nursing in public. I think I just took the bottle with the one time I gave my oldest one in public. I Really can't remember though. I figured out quickly how much simpler it is to just nurse. You could use a little cooler/lunch box I suppose.

Defrost the milk in the fridge the night before and put bottle in a cooler pack. Then the bottle is never put at room temp until you feed baby. If baby will not eat the milk cold, then I don't know. While defrosted Milk can be at room temp for several hours, I would be concerned about giving baby milk that has gotten warmer than room temp, so if a bottle is going to be in a hot car, for example, it really needs to be kept cold I would think.

But it may well be easier to just bring the pillow! Because when you are out for any length of time, it is not just about how to feed baby put how to remove milk from your breasts so you do not get overfull.

I also suggest experimenting with NIP in "safe' places, like an LLL meeting, with a friend, in front of the mirror etc. Also, experimenting with nursing positions so you can make it work without the pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Defrost the milk in the fridge the night before and put bottle in a cooler pack. Then the bottle is never put at room temp until you feed baby. If baby will not eat the milk cold, then I don't know. While defrosted Milk can be at room temp for several hours, I would be concerned about giving baby milk that has gotten warmer than room temp, so if a bottle is going to be in a hot car, for example, it really needs to be kept cold I would think.
    This is basically what we did. Keep the bottle in a cooler until LO is ready for it, and then heat it up. If you are at a restaurant, they will bring you a cup of hot water. Once when traveling, we got a cup of hot water when we stopped for lunch, put a 2nd cup around it to keep it hot, and then used it down the road to heat a bottle so we didn't have to stop driving. Worst case, you can just run the bottle under warm water anywhere that has a sink. It wastes a lot of water, but it works. DH did that once when he had to take DS to a dr appointment without me and was too embarrassed to ask if they had a cup or anything. Or I guess you could carry your own cup.

But yes, nursing is much easier than carrying around a bottle and heating it. Not sure how old you LO is, but nursing in public got a lot easier for me once my first one got past the floppy newborn age. With the 2nd one, it was a lot easier from the beginning. Also, I have never tried it, but a friend uses her diaper bag as a pillow.

I cross my legs and use that extra height as the "pillow". At home I always use a pillow so I am also attached to the idea of having my baby raised up while nursing.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

Thanks ladies!! My little guy is 4 weeks old. We had latch issues in the beginning but he seems to be doing fine. Sometimes it takes 5 or so minutes. Thanks for the suggestions....I've been trying to breastfeed without the pillow at home as a test....not so comfy but I got him on.....eventually.