Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one sore nipple

Default one sore nipple

i only have one really sore nipple....the other is fine...it stings during feeding...what to do?

Default Re: one sore nipple

Hi there
    Nipples can hurt for a variety of reasons. The most common is probably because of poor latch. Even if baby latches well to one side, he might be having trouble with the other. Other causes could include thrush. Some articles to help you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/heal.html
    Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; November 28th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

can i have thrush on just one side...i wasnt thinking you could?...but im assuming its the latch on that side that sounds the most likely>

Yes, you can have thrush on just one side. You should treat BOTH sides AND baby though because it will spread like wildfire.

I'd recommend making the sure the latch is right. If that doesn't solve the problem (you should notice a very quick decrease in pain once the latch is corrected), then investigate thrush further.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

im pretty sure its the latch cause ever since we have introduced bottles for supplementing this one has hurt a bit...not always...how do i get her to open her mouth wider i try doing it by opening it manually w/my thumb but she gets so exceited that she is just chomping her jaws and it is hard to get her to do it the majority of the time

Okay

You might try the assymetrical latch shown in a video on this (non-LLL) site:

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

I'd suggest you get a Leader or an IBCLC to help you in person if you aren't able to get it corrected soon. It's hard to tell you exactly how to correct it when I can't see it

HTH
    Jen

I had the same problem for a while - give that side a break by feeding on your good side and pumping on the other. Once it heals a bit, gradually start to reintroduce that nipple, and if it hurts, break off, burp and switch until you start to get the hang of it.

It makes things worse when you are stressed and frustrated. Give yourself permission to take a break and it will do wonders for your morale. I had huge anxiety because of the pain, and I swear my stress was transfering to her and making it harder for her to latch properly. My husband convinced me to pump and use bottles for a couple of days so that I could heal and also re-set my mind frame, and it saved me. Now we are back to breastfeeding most of the time and he gives her bottles a couple times a day. Our latch is still not perfect, but I can feed her pain-free so it is good enough for me.