Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 months and my supply

Question 5 months and my supply

Hi! I have a 5 month old DD and she has been a fabulous, exclusively breastfed baby since the day she was born. About a week ago, I started noticing that she wasn't "satisfied" by her feedings. I was unsure if it was because she was more hungry or if my supply was lessening. Yesterday,I decided to start her on rice cereal during her "dinner" meal. She ate about a teaspoon of it. How can I tell if my supply is lower? I am not a pumping mother - - only breastfed. My DD doesn't like a bottle. But, since starting the cereal, I have had to pump in order to mix with the cereal and I have noticed that I barely can get an ounce. I am feeding her the cereal, breastfeeding her and then pumping what I have left to refridgerate for the next cereal feeding.

If my supply has lowered -- why? Can I get it back? If not, what do I do?? I know this should be posted in the "STARTING SOLIDS" area, but I thought that it was more of a supply question than a solids question.

Please help! I am confused and unsure. Thanks!
    ~Jenni

Default Re: 5 months and my supply

Could it be a growth spurt? Pumping is not an accurate measure of how much milk you make. I am never able to pump much milk but I know that DD gets plenty. Runs out of her mouth quite often and she is a big roly poly. The suction of a pump just doesn't match the suction of your LO- especially if you do not do it too often. Is her diaper output still good? If so, she is probably still getting enough. Not sure what else to say but hope some of that helps. There is also a forum especially for milk supply questions- just FYI. The ladies there might be more of a help.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Default Re: 5 months and my supply

If you are getting an ounce AFTER nursing her that is EXCELLENT! Many moms can only get that much pumping before nursing. My guess is your little one is just going through a growth spurt as the PP said, or some other kind of milestone that is causing her fussiness. Is that what is leading you to believe she is not "satisfied?" Is she fussy or wanting to nurse more often? Why exactly do you believe she isn't getting enough? The best thing for your supply is to nurse her as often as you can!

What are your baby's diaper outputs like? If you are seeing 5-6 wet diapers a day, then most likely your supply is just fine. See: How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?

It sounds like your body is just beginning to regulate your milk supply to match your little one's needs. Also, keep in mind that your pumping output has nothing to do with what your baby is actually able to take in ... no pump in the world is able to mimic your baby's suck perfectly.

See these links for more info:

Is your milk supply really low?
    My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased?
    Is my older baby getting enough milk?

Note also ... always nurse BEFORE giving any solids. And you may want to just hold off on solids period for a little while longer. For one thing, filling her up on solids will only work to lessen your supply. And the AAP recommends not starting solids until at least 6 months. See links below for more on solids in general. Cereal is mostly just filler ... not a lot of nutritional value. So, your little one is potentially replacing your *perfect* breast milk with a very poor substitute.

See these links for information on starting solids, and why it's best to wait until at least 6 months:

Why Delay Solids?
    Solid food: Wait a Bit

When should my baby start solids?
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How do we get started with solids?
    What if my 4-5 month old seems ready for solids?
    Solid food: Best Delayed

Kellymom's site says: "Delaying solids helps mom to maintain her milk supply. ... Studies have shown that for a young baby solids replace milk in a baby's diet - they do not add to baby's total intake. The more solids that baby eats, the less milk he takes from mom, and less milk taken from mom means less milk production. Babies who eat lots of solids or who start solids early tend to wean prematurely."

I hope this helps. Post back and let us know how things are going for you guys now! You are doing a beautiful job! Trust your body ... it knows what to do for your baby, especially since you have been exclusively breastfeeding this long - that is excellent!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon