Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you leave the house? Looking for advice.

Default How do you leave the house? Looking for advice.

(Note: sorry for the repost, I posted this to the pumping board before I saw there was an Exclusive Pumpers board)

Hello! New to the boards here and FTM. For various reasons I've had to move to exclusively pumping for my LO. He is exactly 2 months old today and growing well. I try to pump every 3 hours per the recommendation but that makes it very difficult to go anywhere. For example, last week I went to a wedding and I tried pumping in the car, I have a PISA with a 9V adaptor, and it was terrible. Barely any power. I got more milk hand expressing for 10 minutes than I did pumping for 30.

I'm curious, how do other EPers (or anyone for that matter) leave the house for more than a few hours if you need to pump every 3 hours? I would love to start leaving the house more, but I have a low supply and I'm afraid if I stretch the time between pumps my supply will diminish.

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: How do you leave the house? Looking for advice.

Hi, hopefully another eping mom will have ideas for you, but here are a couple of suggestions:

Did you know some mothers pump in public, just as mothers nurse in public? I don't mean in a car, I mean, anywhere. Usually they use some kind of a cover. Also, many facilities (malls, reception halls, offices, etc.) have some place that provides some privacy and has an electrical outlet. If you want to do play dates, maybe suggest meeting at another moms home rather than a park, etc.

Why do you think the car did not work? Many moms pump in the car so I wonder if you are having issues with your adapter? Does the PISA not have a battery? Is the PISA your ONLY pump? I would be a bit worried about relying on that pump entirely for eping.

As far as pumping every three hours- Are you finding you MUST pump every three hours? Babies do not nurse on a schedule, so there is no general reason to pump on a set every such and such hours schedule as long as you pump frequently enough overall to have good milk production. what if you pumped more often before and after an outing and took longer than three hours between pumping when out?

Hand expression can work really well, many mothers get quite good at hand expression and find it works as well if not better than a pump even when pump is working well.

Does your baby ever nurse, is baby capable of nursing at all? If baby can nurse at all, even if mostly bottle fed, that would be another way to handle outings.

I agree that the PISA may not be up to the task of EPing full time. The battery adapter on that pump I think may not be as powerful as when you plug into the wall. And if the batteries in the pack are starting to get low it gets even weaker.

Now if you get a really strong inverter to use in your car, you could plug the pump into the inverter and run it like it's on wall power but be advised that the inexpensive little inverters like people use to plug a computer in while in the car will probably not survive much pumping since the pump motors draw too many amps and "browning out" on the pump may not only be bad for the inverter but possibly also bad for the pump motor, I'm not sure.

If you can't manage to adjust your schedule around the outing, there is usually going to be some place you could take the pump in with you to pump in many places.

If struggling with low supply, try pumping even more often for a few days if you can and perhaps try to squeeze in a few days with a power pumping session to help up your supply a bit. Be sure to read up on doing hands on pumping with massage and compressions and finishing out with hand expression will probably help too.

You are doing amazing, I would never be able to EP since I can only get a fraction of milk out with the pump that the baby can get.

I EP as well for more than a couple of weeks already and I'm starting to encounter this problem. What do you do with the milk that you pumped?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*noodles610 View Post
    I EP as well for more than a couple of weeks already and I'm starting to encounter this problem. What do you do with the milk that you pumped?
    A cooler and ice packs till you get home.

How long will it be good for in ice? Can you put it in the fridge when you get home? How long will it be good for after that?

There are links to more info and articles as well as a chard on this page
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/

How do mom who breastfeed go out without their babies for longer than4 hrs? If EP moms have problems leaving the house because of pumping, wouldn't moms who go out of town on weekends without their babies have that same problem?

Milk on ice can last up to 24 hours I believe. I tried to minimize fridge time to 4-5 days but I think it is okay a little longer.
    As to leaving the house while pumping- I used a manual pump (the Medela one) and a Freestyle. Both worked well. I work full time and pumped at work. Most of the time that was in my office but often it was in various court houses, my car, random conference rooms, the occasional park bench, once at a restaurant while waiting for food, a wedding (in the lobby of the reception hall and then in the car) pretty much anywhere was game. The manual pump was more work but considerably more discreet.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*noodles610 View Post
    How do mom who breastfeed go out without their babies for longer than4 hrs? If EP moms have problems leaving the house because of pumping, wouldn't moms who go out of town on weekends without their babies have that same problem?
    If a mom is going to be separated from her baby, she needs to pump. Weekend trips without baby mean the pump comes with you. What you do with the milk is up to you- if you have a lot of stored milk or you're comfortable with using formula, you can discard your pump output. If you'd rather save it, then you make a storage plan- coolers, ice packs, even dry ice and shipping!