Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with distractible 6 month old

Default Help with distractible 6 month old

I'm having a very difficult time trying to get my 6 month old to nurse lately. He obviously gets enough to eat (he's in the 99th percentile for weight and height!

Default Re: Help with distractible 6 month old

How often does baby nurse? Sometimes we expect a baby to continue to nurse as often as they did earlier, but it can be totally normal for baby to nurse faster and less often as baby ages.

Any solids offered yet? Is baby getting any other fluids? These can affect baby's "appetite" for nursing as well.

For the distractible baby here is a good article: http://kellymom.com/parenting/parent...ractible-baby/

for more extreme cases of baby refusing to nurse, here are ideas: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

I too have a very distractible almost six month old. Some of the tricks that work for us are:

Nursing in a dark quiet room
    If we are out and about I kiss, blow raspberries, suck and make smacking noises onto his hand (this helps when he is either bored or very distracted by his surroundings. He is entertained by my playing with his hand but is still able to focus on nursing)
    Offering frequently (a few sucks here and there add up)
    Nursing during his sleep (if I'm concerned about his intake I'll dream feed him about an hour after he falls asleep or any time he rouses in his sleep)

It also helps for me to keep in mind that a healthy baby will not purposely starve themselves. My son will eat when he is hungry. If he doesn't get enough calories during the day then at night he will make up for it.

I hope this helps!

My 4 month old has become quite distractible and it's challenging since we have had concerns over his weight gain.