Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: end of a three month nursing strike or ???

Default end of a three month nursing strike or ???

Hi all,

So, I used to tandem nurse two year old twins but then 3 months ago, my daughter quit nursing. She was decreasing her nursing time, but not times per day. It always seemed a bit sudden to me and I often wondered if it was because she didn't like tandem nursing anymore. After she quit, her brother started nursing a lot better. Longer times, more milk pulled out, seemed to enjoy it more, etc. Now they refuse to be together on my lap even. It just becomes a competition.

Anyway, a few days ago, my daughter asked for nursing again. I told her sure, and let her try. But I think she must have forgotten how to nurse or something. She just holds the nipple in her mouth for a little bit. I tried telling her to suck on it and tried squirting some milk in. She just swallows and continues to hold it in her mouth and not suck.

So was wondering... is she regretting weaning? And if so, any advice on how to get her to suck properly again? Or maybe she is just jealous of her brother?

Default Re: end of a three month nursing strike or ???

I wouldn't chalk it up to jealousy- maybe normal toddler curiousity? Maybe she's thinking "Why is my brother so interested in this, perhaps I should try it"?

If you want her to nurse again, I think you are going about it in just the right way: light and playful and no-pressure. I am not sure there's any way to make a kid suckle again. I think you just have to sort of hope that she discovers it on her own..l
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"