Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Acupuncture for increasing milk supply and flow

Default Acupuncture for increasing milk supply and flow

Has anyone out there tried Acupuncture?
    I'm trying to research other alternatives if my thyroid is fine and my Dr won't prescribe Domperidone or Reglain for me.

Default Re: Acupuncture for increasing milk supply and flow

OMG, I wish I had tried the Acupuncture like 4 MONTHS AGO!!!!

WHY is there so little info or comments from people who have used Acupuncture to help them with their problems?
    I did find like 3 or 4 success stories online about people who had acupuncture and TCM herbs help them with milk supply issues but that seems like sooooo few since it seems to be quite effective with only a couple treatments. As in if it doesn't work quickly you can probably go on to try something else and if it does work you know it quickly and don't need to wait around for months to find out it isn't working (like can happen with herbs and drugs.)

I saw it mentioned as a side note down at the bottom of a page over on lowmilksupply.org but didn't jump on it right away because I didn't really know who to go to and it wasn't high on the list of what to do to help with milk supply.

Anyway, Here is what I wrote this morning after getting back from the Appointment.
    Feeling like I've tried almost everything, when I got a good recommendation about an acupuncturist I called and made an appointment.
    I just had an acupuncture appointment this morning and I'm cautiously saying I think it may have really helped, I have the 2nd appointment coming Monday morning since she says it takes two treatments. My Left Breast never has had enough milk supply to really flow well though it has always been the most comfortable one for me. The Right seems to have plenty of supply but it has always been more painful and the past week or two has actually felt what I'm going to call congested. Before leaving the office this morning after treatment DS nursed on the left and was swallowing/gulping nursing intently for 4 minutes before letting go with an odd dased expression so I switched to the Right where he nursed 10 minutes without causing me pain and again lots of swallowing/gulping to the point that he broke out in a sweat and when he let go I got him to take the Left again for a few more minutes before he fell to sleep latched on. And then he slept in the car all the way home (long ride and he often doesn't sleep in the car seat.) Right now I'm pumping after feeding him when I got home and it looks like I've gotten almost 2 oz in about 15 minutes (I have never before gotten more than 1 3/4 oz in a single pumping session.)
    It is now several hours later. Normally I've been supplementing at the breast at least an oz (2 oz at dinner time) with each afternoon/evening feeding. Today I started an oz of supplement at 1:30 but he only took about half of it before falling to sleep. I managed to get him to take the other 1/2 oz when I was feeding him at 3:15 (only used it on the Left since the Right seemed to be flowing well enough to keep his interest on it's own.) I've managed to pump over 4 oz this afternoon during 3 pumping sessions right after feeding and I often don't manage to pump more than a small amount during the afternoons.

I find all this very promising since I still haven't managed to implement most of the Dr's other instructions yet.
    Eat/Drink Soup beef or chicken make sure broth is made with the bones and lots of onions/garlic Add whatever veggies I like I was given a recipe but it is really simple/flexible.
    NO COLD beverages, if I must have cold milk or juice I should follow immediately with a hot drink especially in the morning. Room temp or warmer water or other beverages.
    Use heating pad on lower back/kidney area.
    Next appointment is Monday Morning.

just thought I would also share a few of the links I did find on the subject of success sories.
    http://acupuncture-pregnancy.com/201...success-story/
    http://ballardacupuncture.blogspot.c...lactation.html

Well we are a day after my 2nd acupuncture treatment and I feel I should probably give another day before I make a final conclusion.
    However, preliminary conclusion is it did help improve my milk flow/let down, DS does seem able to get his fill quite a bit quicker when I'm full early in the day. My overall supply doesn't seem to have increased nearly so dramatically.

I would venture to say that if some one is having difficulty with plugs that acupuncture might be a real help and definitely if some one is having problems with recurring mastitis that it may be very helpful to combine the antibiotic treatment with some acupuncture treatments to help reduce the blockages and keep it from coming back.

Ok so it's been almost a week since my second acupuncture treatment and while I can say I felt amazing right after the treatments and it definitely seemed to help with some of my flow/let down issues. I can't say that it did much more than marginally increase my overall supply.

Now I actually wish I new a good acupuncture practitioner that was closer to me because I think it really helped my back a lot and would probably consider more treatments if it didn't cost so much in travel time.