Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changes in let-down

Default Changes in let-down

I am en exclusive pumper now and pump 8-9 times a day with an average of 30-32oz of output in a 15-20 minute amount of pumping time. I would do massage during pumping to help facilitate emptying. But Friday night, I had gone over 5-6 hrs in between pumps, decreased the amount to 7 times a day and was completely engorged by the end of the 6th hour that it was painful to pump and didn't have a let down until after 5-7 minutes.

Now, I have to spend at least 30 minutes, have to get a second let down and practically give myself a mammogram to feel empty and I'm starting to feel bruised from massaging. Could my let down have been affected with the decrease in pumping times? Can I get my let down back? It's pretty painful...

Default Re: Changes in let-down

Perhaps try to be a bit more gentle with yourself since pain can inhibit let down.

So are you now only pumping 7 times a day? Reduced frequency of milk extraction can reduce supply but I'm not sure how closely that change would affect let down.

For the past 3 days, I have only been able to do 7 pumps a day. So far, my output hasn't decreased but then again, I have been pumping longer to make up for the difference.

I pretty much have the pump setting at its lowest since it gets painful in the beginning. Is there a chance I could get my let down back to how it was?

Will "squeezing" my breasts to facilitate in emptying be damaging the milk-producing sacs in my breasts as opposed to gently kneading them?
    Last edited by @llli*noodles610; August 4th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.

Is there a chance I could get my let down back to how it was?
    Sure! But there are no guarantees.

If you want to get things back to the way they were, I think adding in a couple more pumping sessions is the way to get there... Sorry! I know "Just do a lot more work" probably isn't what you (or anyone) wants to hear!

Will "squeezing" my breasts to facilitate in emptying be damaging the milk-producing sacs in my breasts as opposed to gently kneading them?
    No, squeezing will not damage your breasts. But avoid rough handling, if you can!