Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

Default Re: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Yep. I'm a a tank.
    I am sure you arent a tank! But i am short and i know i cant eat 3k cals!

Also recommend lots of foods you can eat one handed while nursing ... I still end up in marathon nursing sessions so get set up with plenty of water and food before setting up camp on the couch. I've gotten pretty good eating with my non-dominant hand out of necessity A favorite quick snack is cheese sticks (the single serving ones such as string cheese) and an assortment of different energy bar type things. I try to keep a bunch of food that I can quickly heat up in single size servings so will make a casserole or lasagne and eat that for several days. For drinks I use one of those sports bottles with a straw or a travel mug with a lid. I've only spilled my drink (water) on LO once, but have frequently spilled drinks on the floor. Early on I was very hungry / thirsty at night so my DH would bring me juice in a juice box.

Smile Re: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    A favorite quick snack is cheese sticks (the single serving ones such as string cheese) and an assortment of different energy bar type things. .
    Be sure you check the ingredients on your energy bars. Some of the really good ones I ate before I was preg with 28 grams of protein per bar were bad for the baby. If you are eating a bar from a normal grocery that taste decent and not the protein bricks from GNC that taste horrible than you are probably fine. I have switched to the grocery store type myself and they are a lifesaver.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My favorites lately are Oatmeal or Cheerios with Skim milk in the AM; granola bars at all times of day (I get the Quaker with chocolate chips b/c it satisfies my every day chocolate craving too); carrots & celery (satisfies my crunchy cravings); toasted whole grain bread with Laughing Cow cheese.

I won't go into all the unhealthy choices I make (like the hostess cupcake and chocolate (skim) milk I had tonight.

another quick & easy food - hummus & crackers

this is a favorite of mine when I'm hungry and don't really know what I want to eat (just had some for lunch )

I happen to be a bf tank myself... gained 60 pounds while pregnant. Still eating alot, too tired to care...
    I try for protein, lossa water and whatever else i can grab quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunoosh View Post
    I eat all day long! I have never eaten so much in my life!

I got into the habit early on of eating and drinking something after each nursing session...so that's a lot of snacks! In the beginning I had to, because I just felt ravenous all the time...now, I could probably skip a few snacks, but I don't! I do try to keep it healthy though. I always have multigrain Cheerios w/a banana for breakfast, usually soup or sandwich for lunch, meat/veg/carbs for dinner. Snacks are things like string cheese, yogurt, graham crackers, granola bars, jello, fruit, applesauce, popcorn...I try to keep lots of options handy! I also drink a lot of fruit juice as a way to maintain fluids and calories.

This can be a dangerous trap to fall into...lol...

My DH just started doing the most wonderful thing to help me out. I don't know why I never thought of it but he keeps putting a bottle of water and a protein bar (or some other small snack) in my pumping bag. Every time I sit down to pump and realize I am hungry (but do not want to stop pumping to get food) I can just pull out my water and snack! The water is room temp but perfect when you are pumping and thirsty!!

It was a great idea and it worked well! Just a suggestion...
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; December 2nd, 2006 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Oops - posted the same thing 2 times
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Oops, I somehow hit refresh and posted the same thing 2 times in a row. Sorry...
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; December 2nd, 2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: oops

After the first week, I lost my appetite completely. It was the worst. We never had groceries and I got NO sleep. Sad to say it, but I lived on microwaved hot dogs, which I had to force myself to eat. GROSS. I could never figure it out because I am a huge eater, generally. I guess I was kinda into "survival mode" and sleeping won out over eating to keep me sane!! My milk supply was fine.

Pumping, however, DEMANDS good eating habits. I'm a big Vitamin Water fan, Trader Joes Simmer Sauces for Chicken, rice pilafs from boxes, Subway sandwiches for lunches (only time I get to myself these days!), chocolate skim milk for hot chocolate instead of coffee, Bertolli Skillet Pastas, anything quick that produces leftovers!