Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

Default What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

Being that you're busy nursing and tyring to nap, what kind of foods do you eat for breakfast lunch and dinner to help keep your body healthy enough to continue producing milk and help sustain your overworked body?

I hear you need 3k calories a day when breastfeeding.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

I don't know about 3k a day, but I try to eat four or five smaller meals a day. I always eat Oatmeal for breakfast, as grain is supposed to help with supply. I actually eat the packets and I eat two of them. Then I am usually hungry by 10:00 or so and I will have a Kashi bar or a yogurt(which I have only recently been able to add back to my diet). I usually eat a normal sized lunch ranging from brown rice and a veggie burger to Chili Spaghetti or a big bowl of soup. Then I do have something in the afternoon as well, usually fruit or nuts(keep in mind, some people should not eat nuts). We eat a family dinner later. I don't have a clue how many calories I eat, but I just try to keep up my metabolism and eat at least fairly healthy. HTH.

It does at some point level off. But in the beginning, lost of pasta,dairy and WATER!! Never be w/out water. Pasta and casseroles were easy fixes during the day and made the STARVING feeling go away most quickly. And I always have meant and greens for dinner. Good luck!

"Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    Being that you're busy nursing and tyring to nap, what kind of foods do you eat for breakfast lunch and dinner to help keep your body healthy enough to continue producing milk and help sustain your overworked body?

I hear you need 3k calories a day when breastfeeding.
    I would be a TANKif I ate 3000 calories a day!

I have Kashi cereal for breakfast, fruit for a snak - pb & j for lunch, cheese or nuts as a snack, and dinner varies. I eat more like 2000 calories a day, TOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    I always eat Oatmeal for breakfast, as grain is supposed to help with supply. I actually eat the packets and I eat two of them.
    Me too...2 packets!! Yum Yum. I love Oatmeal. Or another favorite breakfast is toast with peanut butter.

For Lunch I have a salad with feta or cheddar cheese, veges & tuna or chicken. Or a whole wheat pita with turkey and veges...my once in a while is Annie's mac & cheese...its my "treat".... I usually need a snack...yogurt or Luna bars, lately I am really into Pears with the red skin. Nuts are a good snack (but get the non-salted ones).

Water is good.

Dinner, Salmon, brown rice and salad or chicken (if you eat meat) with pesto and sundried tomatoed....I make cavatappi noodles tossed in pesto and add the sd tomatoes, kalamata olives and a little artichoke hearts, very easy and delicious.

Mostly be mindful to have healthy snacks and I think 3k is ALOT! I wish I could eat that much....I admit, the pounds aren't falling off like I had hoped...I have to work to lose weight now.

I eat a protein bar and a glass of juice for breakfast 5:30am because it is quick and I have been waking up so hunger - so is my LO and I have to feed her first before I consider eating myself. Around 10am I try to have a piece of fruit. Then I generally forget to eat until about 3pm when I am very hungry again and my LO wants all of my attention. I pop in a healthy choice microwave dinner and eat it! Not prep or clean up. After 3pm I snack on fruit, juice and pumpkin seeds from about 4-7pm. DH and I do not eat dinner until around 9pm and I cook if he is with our LO or he cooks if I am watching her. If she is asleep we both cook!!

Prior to getting preg were mostly veggies but now we eat meat too b/c that many beans in my diet was rough on the LO. For dinner we always have a protein (beans, fish or chicken), a salad, veggies and water or juice. I put powered fiber in everything lately to help out. I also take prenatal vitamin and a slow release iron tab b/c I have low iron.

HTH
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I eat all day long! I have never eaten so much in my life! I have gotten myself into a bad .... very bad habit of eating sweets! We had a house guest staying with us since my boys were born 4 months ago and she stayed for about 2 months...well just cuz she was a twig and ate bread and Nutella for breakfast I thought I could too! Well I can't stop eating sweets...I seriously believe it is a habit I have formed cuz I want to stop but can't! The only reason I think I haven't gained one lb. and have actually lost a couple is because I am nursing twins. I have been trying to eat oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes as a night time snack (2 packs too!) LOL. I have always been a big water drinker. I usually snack on fruit or sweets through out the day. A chocolate here and there...lol. I don't usually do lunch because I eat breakfast around 10am and pick so much during the day! Dinner is usually about 5 or 6. Tonight we had rice (Saudi recipe) and lamb chops and salad with lemon dressing. I like to prepare casseroles a lot too since they are so easy and only one pan to clean!

Im in the same role as you are, my baby is 11 days old and BFing her is hard work..

It is very important to drink alot of fluids and this could be from soups or beverages, as long as its liquids you are replenishing into your body then its fine..

LIQUID FOODS......!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamakazi View Post
    I would be a TANKif I ate 3000 calories a day!

I have Kashi cereal for breakfast, fruit for a snak - pb & j for lunch, cheese or nuts as a snack, and dinner varies. I eat more like 2000 calories a day, TOPS.
    Yep. I'm a a tank.