Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

Default Re: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

Some favorite quick and healthy snacks here include yogurt, cheese, fresh fruits and veggies (often times spread with peanut butter or cream cheese for protein), hard boiled eggs, organic fruit and cereal bars, oatmeal with ground flax and/ or wheat germ...

I absolutely second drinking water...in the early days I'd inevitably get dry mouth the minute I letdown for some reason. Then, of course I'd have forgotten my glass of water and get dh to get it for me. That was actually one of the best ways he supported bf for us (besides being our guardian towards unsupportive family members and friends!)...every time I sat down to nurse he'd get me a mug of water.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I love oatmeal I have a bowl woth walnuts and frozen blueberries!!!!!
    Lunch is normally some leftovers from dinner
    and I try to have a snack mid afternoon yougurt or crackers..

But lots and lots of water..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I was told that you have to eat 300 calories more a day then when pregnant. Also, make sure you drink around a gallon of water a day. Drink a glass of water everytime you nurse so you won't forget. Make sure you get lots of Calcium in your diet. Your LO takes alot of it from you.

For the first few weeks after dd was born I never had a chance to eat! DD would not let me put her down. And she nursed practically all day long. The upside of this was that the baby weight fell away quickly. The downside was I was tired and so so hugry all the time.

After a few weeks of this I got smart and set up a snack station within arms reach of my nursing chair. I put a big bowl of fresh fruit and PB crackers, plus a huge pitcher of ice water. Sometimes I'd also put PB sandwiches out too. I also found the Ensure protein drinks and Kashi protein bars were wonderful for a quick snack.

hard boilled eggs are a good quick snack.

Wow, Gail! It sounds like you found a great solution! I wish I had been that organized!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Smile Re: What do you eat when home and breastfeeding?

I Have Irish Oatmeal With A Touch Of Honey Ground Flaxseeds And Soy/rice Milk, Fresh Oj. Also, A Banana With Breakfast Or Shortly After. I Make Myself A Decaf Cappo With Milk. I'm Sure The Coffee Is Not Great But I Need Something After Those Long Nights!

Lunch I Have A Veggie Sandwich/pita W Cheese Or Hummus. Often I Will Make An Omelet With Cheese. I Used To Be Into Fresh Veg Juices But My Ds Gets Cranky So I Eat Fast And Don't Have The Time.

Afternoon Snack- Raisins, Sometimes Nuts, Lately A Muffin For Convenience. Afternoons I Am Really Hungry!

Dinner-veggie Pizzas, Veggie Sushi, Pastas, Tofu W Veg Etc Etc.

Also Take The Prenatal Vitamins As Well. We Do Get Takeout Since We Have So Many Great Places In South Florida But I Am A Vegetarian And Try To Eat Healthy. I Gained 30 Lbs During My Preg And Still Have 8lbs To Go. The Last Few Are Difficult To Lose!

For those of you asking how many calories for breastfeeding moms, the formula is like this: eat 500 extra quality calories per day.

Calorie needs vary greatly according to a person's age, sex, and activity level. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has developed a chart to help people find their specific calorie needs, which can be found online at http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/dis...es_amount.html

Remember to make these quality calories. Include in your diet about 5 to 6 small meals a day. This will speed up your metabolism and help you loose the baby weight. Eat 3 to 5 servings of fruit each day, make sure these are high in fiber and low in sugars (dried fruit is not recommended due to their high sugar content). Try to eat your bread and pastas from whole grains like spelt and quinoa. These are complex carbohydrates. Incorporate grains in your diet, beans are really easy to prepare, they are wholesome and have a good amount of protein. Eat protein every day, this will help you replenish your muscle tone. Make sure that your portion of protein is the size of a deck of cards _no bigger than that.

The breastfeeding answer book (published by LLLI) suggests that a nursing mom should eat to hunger and drink to thirst, rather than worrying about counting calories or ounces of water. For those who do like to count calories: "It is recommended that lactating women consume 2700 calories per day, however, many nursing mothers actually take in closer to 2200 per day or less. The minimum safe intake for an average sized breastfeeding mother is considered to be 1800 calories per day, and it is recommended that mothers who restrict heir diet to this level eat foods high in nutritional value and consider a vitamin and mineral supplement." (p. 437, BAB).
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader