Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP - no milk, LO rubbing breast with face & I'm going crazy!

Exclamation HELP - no milk, LO rubbing breast with face & I'm going crazy!

I am sorry this is long but I really need your help!

I believe my milk production has taken a dive in the last week. My breast do not feel as full and my LO (2.5 months) is more fussy at the breast. She will eat for 5 minutes and fall asleep. She will sleep as long as I am holding her (up to 3 hours). If I attempt to put her down when she falls asleep at the breast she wakes and screams. When I try to put her back to the breast she roots and rubs her right cheek on my breast, licks the nipple and rubs her chin on the nipple. She will do this for several minutes and then get mad and scream. All the while I am attempting to shove my nipple into her mouth and she refuses to latch.
    To get her to latch I must give her my finger to suck on. When she gets calm and sucking good on my finger I slip my finger out and my nipple in as quick as possible. Needless to say, the latch is not that good and it hurts a little but it is the only way to get her back on.

I am stressed b/c of the holiday and I return to work the first week of Jan so that has me upset too. I wish I could be a stay at home mom but we can not afford for me to do so. I'm sure the stress is impacting my supply but I do not know how to handle it. Today I flipped out and bought fenugreek (took it 3 caps / 3 timer today), drank 6 cups of Mothers-milk tea and ate Oatmeal all day long (9 bowls). This is not like me and I am crying and freaking out. I'm generally not this way, I am educated and know not to go crazy with the OTC herbs and oatmeal but I do not know what is going on.
    I am not myself and it really frightens me.

What do I do? I have not had PPD or any problems like that but if I had to guess what it feels like this would be it. I hope I am wrong. I am afraid to ask/tell anyone b/c I am the type of person that can not admit I have a problem or ask for help (except here where you do not know me and I do not feel judged).

Default Re: HELP - no milk, LO rubbing breast with face & I'm going crazy!

Can daddy take your lo for a bit while you do something for yourself for a bit? It sounds like you could really use a little break and a deep breath.

Here's a link that you might find helpful, particularly the "Is my milk supply really low" part. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Hang in there. Chances are this is just one of those things you have to get through that you may or may not ever know the cause of.

My lo is 5 months and there were many a day when I feared the worst, ppd and the like. The hormonal shifts are probably still a little wacky, especially if lo isn't latching on.

DS went on a mini nursing strike that lasted a day or two. I had heard that taking a bath with lo helps. I tried that and sure enough he nursed fine in the water and was calm and peaceful. Then, when we got out and I tried to nurse him some more, same screaming fits at the breast. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and I was sure he was hungry. I pumped both breasts for 10 or 15 minutes and had DH give him that milk in bottle. After the bottle, he oddly enough, was readily accepting of the breast and that ended his little nursing strike.

I know it's hard to relax and take it easy when there are so many things to worry about. Someone telling you to relax doesn't really work. But the best thing you can do for your supply is to take care of yourself. Get plenty of rest when you can.

I am sorry that I do not have any advice but I am sure other moms here do. I just wanted to offer support and say you are doing great and it will all work out. Stay strong and try to get some time for you to get some rest or go to the gym or go out for some fun with friends letting your DH stay with your LO. Some time away from everything may help you. I will keep you in my thoughts and best of luck! Stay Strong!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk