Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bleeding sore nipples

Unhappy bleeding sore nipples

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 8 months now and have just recently started having problems. My breasts are very sore when she first lathces on and for the last week they have been bleeding on and off. I have used lanolin and warm compresses but it doesn't seem to be helping. There is one tender spot on my breast but I massage it and put on warm compresses. I don't think it is the way she is latching on, I do pump throughout the day as well and it is sore and does bleed then as well. Please help! Thanks

Default Re: bleeding sore nipples

Oh, my -- that sounds excruciating! I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

I'm including a couple links from a reliable (but non-LLL-approved) website. There are several links at the bottom of each page, so explore thoroughly to see what may be useful.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...les-older.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

Is there any sign of infection? This is what concerns me the most, especially if this has happened suddenly on both nipples. It could be fungal, bacterial, or both.

If the common home treatments or tricks don't bring marked improvement in the next couple of days, I strongly advise you to meet with a LLL Leader or an IBCLC for hands-on evaluation and advice. Good luck; I hope you are feeling better very soon.

--Rebecca

I really can't help you too much but right around the time my son turned 8 months my breasts started getting very very sore again like in the beginning but not quite as bad. I was very sore and bleeding for the first couple of months. I was in so much pain I almost gave up nursing. I don't think this time it is from his new teeth. I think it has more to do with my menstrual cycle. I had a menstrual cycle at 8 weeks, 6 months, and then at 8 months. The first two cycles were relatively painless but this time I got nausea so bad I vomited several times, had lots of internal pains, headache, cramps all 10 days before my period started. This is about the time my son didn't want to nurse often. He would nurse mostly at night or anytime before he wanted to nap. Unfortunately, here I am almost a month later and he still will not nurse. My breasts aren't sore anymore though. So I attribute it to my cycle--but who knows. My son does seem to suck a lot harder now. Maybe my milk supply has dropped considerably now that he is eating more solids and not nursing as often and he needs to suck hard--which could be likely too. Now I have a worse problem. He bit my nipple today and I overreacted and now he won't nurse at all--just screams. I just wrote a post on the topic. I hope you are feeling better now and it was nothing serious.

ouch! I do not have much to offer here, just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are so sore. Any chance that you could be pregnant? Also could it be thrush?