Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No poop in 5 days?

Default No poop in 5 days?

My baby is 5 months old and is only on breastmilk. No poop in five days? I'm calling the pedi now and leaving a message. Anyone else experience this?

Default Re: No poop in 5 days?

Sure. Don't worry about it. The main thing is that when it does come, it should be soft and not hard pellets. And be prepared to deal with it, if you leave the house Keep disposable gloves, a few pampers and a good surface to spread out when the time comes, in case you aren't home when it happens

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

Thanks!! Yes, I keep packing extra clothes when I go out just in case!

Definitely don't worry about it. After 6 weeks, a breastfed baby may continue to poop multiple times a day, or may poop as infrequently as once a week. Both extremes are normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

And just when you have it down pat, the schedule changes again!

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

So, it's normal for an ebf baby to suddenly change elimination patterns? If so, you all have just made my day... my 16 week old went 24 hours without a BM, which is SO NOT NORMAL for her. We're talking every diaper was a poopy diaper, pretty much from the day she was born. I know it's normal for ebf babies to go several days, but wasn't sure if it was normal for it to change.

I think it is more common for the change to happen closer to the 6 week age I think but as long as she doesn't seem to be showing any signs of distress and that the wet diaper count is still normal and when the poop does come it isn't hard then it could be a new normal for Her.

(I think with some mom/baby pairs the adjustment in bowel movements is not just due to the baby getting a more developed digestive system but also when mom's milk supply tends to regulate down to meet baby's demand more closely.)
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; July 17th, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

The changeover from multiple poops per day to radio silence can happen pretty much at any time between 6 weeks and 12 months. Or not. My first started going a week between poops at 5 months. My second remained a multi-pooper until she was into her second year of life.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"