Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it best not to time how long baby is on the breast?

Default Re: Is it best not to time how long baby is on the breast?

counting diapars is a beter way to go about figuring out if your baby is getting the milk they need.
    at least 5-6 wet diapars and 2-5 poops the size of a quarter. A baby older then 6 weeks might poop less often.
    DITTO DITTO DITTO. Watch the baby, not the clock!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I did actually look at the clock and wrote some info down on feeds and nappies. BUT I didn't act differently because of the clock and certainly would not have taken a feeding baby off the breast ('not receiving hindmilk' issues and many other potential problems lie down that road). I knew that there was an enormous range of normal when it came to length of the feed and baby should determine it not me.
    I also really don't think nipple soreness is about amount of time on breast - once feeding is happening correctly the nipple is sitting comfortably beyond the hard palate and is 'out of reach' as it were. The issue is latch latch latch.

My ds nurses occassionaly nurses for 5 min. and then sometimes (when he's nursing to sleep) he'll nurse for long stretches and spend alot of time comfort sucking. One of the LC at the hospital where I gave birth told me to nurse ds for a minimum of 10 min. I was driving him and me crazy tyring to force him to stay latched and sucking for 10 min. I later found out that it doesn't matter how long they nurse as long as they have good diaper output. Don't let yourself stress over things like this, just enjoy your new baby and work hard at establishing a good nursing relationship

RozandAlixMommy: I started a new thread with your question. Here's the link:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=12265
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!