Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning at 12 months

Default Weaning at 12 months

Hi-

I am wanting to start the weaning process so that by the time my lo turns one (she is currently 11 months) we will be down to nursing in the morning and before bedtime. She has teeth and nursing has become painful because she will bite me! We had a meeting about this and I thought she got the memo but recently it has started back up. Today she broke the skin on my right nipple so now when she latches it is very painful and I dread feeding her from that side but I know I have to so as to not cause engorgement or clogged ducts.

How can I start this? Should I give her pumped milk for one of her naps during the day? If I do that I would still have to pump so how will that help my breasts if they still think there is a feeding when there isn't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Default Re: Weaning at 12 months

Okay, so the goal is to have the baby receive most of her nutrition from breastmilk for the first 12 months. Right? So ordinarily women are advised to try to keep on nursing on demand or at least frequently for the first year, and to start the weaning process only after the baby's first birthday. You're really, really close to 12 months, so if this were me I would try to keep on going as usual for just 1 more month, and then start weaning after the baby turns one. If that's not something you can manage- and I can totally understand why it wouldn't be, what with the biting!- here's what I would do:
    - Start offering pumped milk or formula in place of feedings (Formula only if you run short on pumped milk)
    - Increase your child's solid food intake by offering more frequently and feeding solids before nursing
    - If you are nursing at night, consider making night-weaning your first step, because sleepy babies often would rather get back to sleep than put up a huge fuss
    - Try to stay out and about as much as possible so that your baby stays distracted from nursing
    - Avoid your customary nursing locations, since many babies are triggered to nurse by seeing mom sit down in her nursing spot
    - Get help from friends and family- it can be helpful to hand baby off to a grandma for special cuddles and distraction from nursing
    - Keep an eye on your child's milk and solid food intake, and start dropping pump sessions as the baby starts taking less milk
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Weaning at 12 months

Thank you for this! I agree I am really close to the year which was how long I wanted to BF so I think I will see if I can hold out for a few more weeks. Tonight before bed, she didn't bite me I think she could sense me tense up a few times while nursing. I will definitely be trying out your suggestions!