Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 1/2 month old has never stn weight loss and sleep...

Default 8 1/2 month old has never stn weight loss and sleep...

Hi there,

Firstly i would just like to say that I love it here and although I don't post often as i have 3 kiddies in 4 and under and to post is a luxury.

I just a couple of questions. I am not overly worried but am concerned so what, and comepletly wiped out with tiredness.

My little man is now 8.5 months. he has NEVER slept through the night EVER. the least amount of time that he woke up is once at 2am and then again at 5.50am.

I have returned to work and he has regressed to up to 6 times a night wanting to feed or just get comfort from me. which is fine BUT when he is latched on he is constantly kicking me or slapping me. so i am not even able to rest while he is get comfort.

while i am at work he refuses to drink (a formula bottle, no time to pump or watered down juice/water) or eat while my husband, his daddy, is minding him. but yet they have a wonderful relationship, full of laughter. my children are not in childcare. they are with me for half of their day then with their daddy the other half in our home.
    the health nurse said at his well baby check up that he has dropped from the 25% to the 9% and to drop my milk feeds by one or two and replace it with more solid food. but i just nodded and said yes. i don't want to drop any feeds. he is on 3 solid meals a day,(where sometimes he will finish it and other times he is not that interested) while i am with him. but he may miss a meal while i am in work because he is fretting for me. That is why I feel while i am at home with him i should still give him my milk on demand as it is the most balanced meal he can get.

my questions are
    1) do you think that he will catch up with his weight eventually when he finally gets used to me being away for part of the day.

2) and do you think i might be able to gently sleep train him. having to work full time in various shifts that range from 6am starts to finishing at 11pm within in 1 week. tbh i am amazed that i still have milk as with my other 2 girls i dryed up. although that were sleeping through the night by the time i returned at six months.

3)also so you think that he is fretting even more because he is a boy AND because i didn't go back to work when he turned 8 months?

please help, i am at my wits end with complete and utter exhaustion.

TIA
    Last edited by @llli*bunoven1; July 12th, 2014 at 09:38 AM.

Default Re: 8 1/2 month old has never stn weight loss and sleep...

1) do you think that he will catch up with his weight eventually when he finally gets used to me being away for part of the day.
    Depends on whether or not the decline in percentile was related to his good intake, or just a normal aspect of his development! If he really hasn't been eating enough, then I'm sure things will pick up as he becomes more interested in solids. But it's quite possible that the decline in percentiles was totally normal. In the second half of the first year, many babies drop on the charts, as they become increasingly mobile and start putting more calories into reaching/rolling/crawling/kicking/standing/etc., and packing fewer on as fat.

2) and do you think i might be able to gently sleep train him. having to work full time in various shifts that range from 6am starts to finishing at 11pm within in 1 week. tbh i am amazed that i still have milk as with my other 2 girls i dryed up. although that were sleeping through the night by the time i returned at six months.
    No, I really don't think sleep training is a good idea unless you are willing to feed your baby predominantly on formula. Your baby isn't eating during the day, and that means he's probably getting most of his calories, and doing most of the work of maintaining your milk supply, at night. This sort of reverse cycling is common in babies whose moms work. In addition, you say you have no time to pump at work. No pumping during the day and no nursing at night will likely result in no milk in fairly short order.

3)also so you think that he is fretting even more because he is a boy AND because i didn't go back to work when he turned 8 months?
    No, there are mellow boys and not-so-mellow ones, just like with girls. I don't see how the timing of your return to work could have affected anything, either. Babies don't really want their moms to leave them, no matter if the baby is 3 hours old or 3 months old or 3 years old!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal for your reply.

What you have said completely makes sense. It's amazing how when someone points out the simple things you can have the light bulb moment.

For the time being i will continue as we are. hopefully he will settle down with a few more weeks of our routine.

My boy is very mellow. so maybe he is what they, as mammy's boy. which is fine by me. as he gives the best cuddles

thank you for your reply

Also, dropping percentiles doesn't necessarily mean weight loss, as your title reads. My baby dropped like 18 percentiles but didn't lose weight. He just gained slower. Btw, if you cut down a feed at night, it may actually be a good thing for you. I noticed when I cut out 1 feed my baby ate so much better at the two other feeds. The past two weeks I have cut out one more night feeding and he eats SO much better at the two other feeds. I suspect he gets MUCH more from these two feeds now than he did from 3-4 he had until now. I noticed if we have a bunch of tiny feeds, my supply drops. Even though he's on me a lot. If I feed a little less often, but longer meals, then my supply is much better.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.