Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething and increased appetite?

Talking Teething and increased appetite?

Hello all!

My 7 months old is cutting his first couple of teeth, and since last week he wants to nurse all the time! He is eating solids as well -ALWAYS AFTER NURSING- around 9 oz of food daily plus little chunks of food he feeds himself -broccoli, carrots, potatoes, etc. He used to nurse every 3 hours, but now sometimes he wants to nurse every 1.5 hours.

I don't really mind, because I'm breastfeeding on demand, but I'm curious to know if anyone out there has experienced increasing appetite instead of losing appetite while teething?

Should I be giving him more solids? I think he eats plenty, but he always eats everything happily and NEVER says "no more"- so I'm a little confused if I'm giving him the right amount of solids and breastmilk.

Thank your for your help!

Default Re: Teething and increased appetite?

I haven't experienced this but from what I understand breastmilk is a natural pain killer and so this is fairly common when teething

yes, i experienced this with both my girls andnow my son too. it is more for the comfort in sucking/oral stimulation that they want. (or at least that was my experience) A teether helped out after nursing just in case they still needed some help in soothing their gums. : ) This is the normal for my kiddies at least!

I'm curious about this as well. My 4 month old got his first 2 teeth a few weeks ago and seems to be working on the top ones now; when I'm home he does seem more upset and can nurse more but so far I can calm him down with the breast and help him sleep. However, when I am at work (today was the worst,) DH said he screams and screams and won't sleep which I'm sure makes things worse, and the only thing DH was able to do to calm him down was to keep feeding him until he had eaten all of my pumped milk and 1.5 oz of backup formula I was hoping not to have to use. He tried absolutely everything else first. He ate like 8 oz in 30 mins I think. What do we do in this situation? I can't keep up with pumping that much, so I'm worried about that.

Kimikell, 8 oz in 30 minutes is overfeeding. Is your us and using paced feeding techniques? Swapping in the pacifier Ater baby has had a couple of oz? Trying soothing techniques other than feeding?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, we know it is over feeding and it just happened once. But yes, DH does all of that and knows baby is just trying to comfort but wanting the breast. He has tried everything. Most of the time baby does ok but others he screams and screams for over half an hour and DH, rightly so, doesn't know what else to do. Today he didn't give in and give more bottle and had to just let him scream himself to sleep because no other comfort techniques worked. I feel so bad.

Poor baby, and poor daddy! Has he tried putting baby in a sling or stroller and going outside for a walk? Motion and closeness can be great for fostering sleep. A warm, soap-free bath can also be good as distraction.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"