Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need a little reassurance - I know I'm being silly...

Default Need a little reassurance - I know I'm being silly...

My baby is nearly 8 months old now & has gained well...
    She has nursed at least every 2 hours since we figured out breastfeeding.
    Except in the past 4 days she's regularly had stretches when she went 3 or 3.5 hours before "asking" to nurse. I feed on demand all day & she seems otherwise happy & well. But I have myself worried because 3 hour stretches are just unheard of for us. I'm being silly right?

Default Re: Need a little reassurance - I know I'm being silly...

No, you're not being silly! 8 month old babies can be really distractible and can forget to nurse. So while I don't think you need to be a clock-watcher, it's a great idea to offer the breast if you feel like it's been a bit longer than you like since your baby last nursed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok! We're headed out of town to be with family (lots of kids) this weekend, and it know she'll be really distracted. I'll definitely offer often, particularly as it's been so hot & I know she must be thirsty! I know I am.
    Thanks, Mommal! As ever, you're affirming & helpful! I really appreciate you!

Also, we seem to be "paying" for nursing less during the day by nursing all night, so offering more during the day is good for me too.

I think that was about the age where I started reading to my oldest while nursing. That way he had something fun to focus on and the book kind of blocked visual distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessicanewmom View Post
    Also, we seem to be "paying" for nursing less during the day by nursing all night, so offering more during the day is good for me too.
    I wish more moms realized this connection! I just saw a FB post where someone was complaining about her baby nursing hungrily all night long, and then went on to ask why the baby couldn't nurse like she did during the day: infrequently!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Momma you are not being silly by asking a question of concern. I will tell you once babies hit 6 months it seems they are distracted with every sound or object. Especially if her siblings or daddy pass by. Lol... My LO is 7 months & 3weeks old and I've had to learn to keep her focused when it comes to breastfeeding. It doesn't always work out. You might want to try what I do, see if it works for you. Since I nurse on demand and exclusively breastfeed my LO, her schedule has always been every 2 hrs. If she goes over a bit I try not to freak out. Believe me she will let me know when she's ready to eat. If she's not eating cause she's to distracted, I simply sit her up sing a song or play quick patty cake than offer breast once again. If she keeps turning head or seems not interested, I end nursing session. I wait about 5-10 minutes, play with LO and offer again. Usually she will come looking herself for her milk. It's the cutest thing ever. If she keeps on being distracted, I repeat about 2-4 more try's to see if she will nurse or see if she's just to distracted or not interested. If it fails, I just wait for her cue or wait 30 minutes and try again. Yes, I know this sounds difficult and time consuming. Honestly, it's not that bad. It's what has worked for us. I'm like you I worry for any little thing, so I just started taking different approaches. Also, keep in mind when you nurse try to be alone with your LO less distraction to focus on. Hope this helps.

My baby just turned 9 months and also eats less often. In fact, when I saw he had 3 mini feedings from when I came home from work until his bedtime, I decided to cut out the middle one and now he nurses well for both other ones - which are spaced 3 hours apart.

Distraction! Ugh! My baby had this from about 4 months and going strong. I can only nurse in a quiet room with no noise whatsoever. No talking in the room. If someone walks by and makes noise, he bops his head up to check it out.

My baby was never a demander - I set the nursing pace more or less. So I like to do every 2-2.5 hours. If something comes up and he's not asking then I'll let it go 3 hours.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.