Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin D?

Default Vitamin D?

At the 4 month well exam today our new ped recommended I give my baby vitamin D. She says it does not pass through breast milk. I could swear the old ped said as long as I'm taking it we are covered. New dr said just to buy over the counter brand. I'm getting conflicting info so what are your thoughts on this?

Default Re: Vitamin D?

New pediatrician is wrong. Vitamin D does pass through breast milk. The problem is that breastmilk does not contain large quantities of vitamin D, particularly when mom is vit. D deficient, as many people are due to our indoor lifestyles and use of sunscreen. If your baby spends time outside every day, getting sun exposure on bare, non-sun blocked skin, she should be synthesizing plenty of vit. D. However, if you live in a particularly overcast area, or your baby is always well-covered with clothing or sunblock, or your baby is very dark-skinned, it is possible that supplementation is necessary.

The nice thing about vit. D drops is that they can't hurt and may help, so if you decide to use them it's not a terrible thing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was told the same thing, but opted not to supplement because I determined that the amount of sun exposure was sufficient. Between our walks, trips to the park/zoo, and errands, I figured she was getting the needed sunlight exposure. I used this resource to learn more about it before I made my decision to not supplement: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/. Also, it mentions that just baby in a diaper only needs ~5 minutes exposure a day so that could be easily accomplished even if we spent most of the day indoors.

lllKaren posted this a few weeks ago and I found it very helpful

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0606184845.htm

Summary:

The not-often-discussed issue of Vitamin D deficiency in nursing mothers is discussed by an expert, and how it can affect the infants in their care. An "adequate" intake for nursing mothers is not the 400 IU/d the IOM recommends, but is instead in the range of 5,000-6,000 IU/d, taken daily. If they get that much, they will meet not only their own needs, but their infant's as well.

I read this article by Diana Cassar-Uhl a while back and there was one paragraph that really stuck with me:

We used to hear that we got enough vitamin D just from casual sun exposure on our face and hands, since our bodies produce vitamin D. We know now that isn’t necessarily true. While our bodies make 10,000-20,000 IU of vitamin D after 15-20 minutes of unprotected sun exposure over most of our bodies (think swimsuit on the beach in July), if we live in northern latitudes (anywhere north of Atlanta, research shows), the sun’s rays can’t do their job for most of the year. Basically, you can make snow angels outside, naked, all afternoon and not make any vitamin D if you live in New York and it’s February. Those with darker skin colors will take up to 5 times as long to make the same amount of vitamin D under ideal conditions. Remember, this is unprotected sun exposure … sunscreen blocks the vitamin D-making rays.
    Naked snow angels is an image that's hard to forget. And no wonder I'm vitamin D deficient despite not living very far north and having the lightest skin imaginable.

Here's Dr. Hale's take from Medications and Mothers' Milk:

In summary, human milk is known to have rather minimal concentrations of vitamin D. Supplementing a mother with even moderate doses of vitamin D does not substantially increase milk levels. Using the typical 400 IU dose (RDA) in adults is all but worthless in increasing maternal or the infant's plasma 25(OH)D concentrations. Maternal doses of 4000 IU/day may be required to facilitate increased transfer of 25(OH)D to the infant. Excessive doses can produce elevated calcium levels in the infant[2]; therefore, doses lower than 10,000 IU/day are suggested in undernourished mothers.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

We use the drops that are Bit D only rather than the additives. They carry them at GNC and most natural food stores. I keep trying to get my CVS to carry them.

I've been giving vit D drops since about 6 weeks, I think... I use Baby DDrops, which have the 400iu recommended in a single drop rather than having to give a whole 1mL dose. I put a drop on my nipple right before she nurses, and DONE. So much easier than trying to rely on me to consistently take yet another supplement.