Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re lactating after traumatizing postpartum pychosis

Default Re lactating after traumatizing postpartum pychosis

Hi, my name is Ashley. My baby just turned10 months. Long story short, I had my LO in sept of last year.Started going through postpartum depression not realizing which then led to psychosis which then led to psychiatric hospital on a bunch of weird meds that made me lose my milk significantly! That place was no help. So I went to a doctor and and got treated at a day hospital while trying to recover all the while, trying to get my milk back. I gave up because i would still get irritated holding the baby ( weird, I know but just a normal symptom apparently)and felt it was too stressful trying to recover and take care of my toddler and baby, but the sad part was me telling my sis all this and letting her convince me it wasn't worth the stress. Maybe it wasn't at the time, it's all really just a blur but I have to say, I wish I could go back to that moment and have somebody encouraging, telling me... Ashley YOU can do this!!i still get mad at myself for venting to my sister who has no babies instead my sister who was/ is a breast feeding mum herself. And I look back at ask where was she?!?! Ugh I feel like balling up and crying right now. It kills me knowing that then I could have gotten my milk back much quicker had I done the research because I was getting at least and ounce a day out. 6 months later, I'm 20 something days in my re lactation process, at a mere 20 drops a day give or take.I've been trying re lactation for almost a month now and i have a questions and need help.It had been 5 months since I last breastfed. I started out taking blessed thistle and fenugreek 2 capsules 3 times a day. Bought a advanced medela double pump and have been pumping every 2 to 3 hours. So I felt like I should have more coming out by now, so I just rented a hospital grade double pump and have been at it for like 3 days now. I'm not really noticing a change and I'm worried, is this all I'm going to get out? Should I have more out by now or is this a normal pace? Will my milk just come in one day like it did after giving birth, or is it seriously one drop at a time? I'm thinking that once I'm 2 months in ill be at 40 drops :/ is it too late to breastfed at 10 months? I don't know that it's possible to re train her so late in and the only interest she has in them is slapping and biting my nipples :/ I'm getting discouraged and need some major comfort/ reassurance / advice. Please help and thank you for listening. -ash-

Default Re: Re lactating after traumatizing postpartum pychosis

I have no advice for you, but I just wanted to say that I am so glad you were able to get the medical help you need and move onto parenting the way you would like. I'm impressed by your courage. I feel like you overcoming such a significant challenge in motherhood and working so hard at this is something to be incredibly proud of - no matter the outcome. Well done and great effort.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the baby and on making it through what sounds like an extraordinarily challenging time in your life! It's awesome that you're willing to try breastfeeding again, and the fact that you already see some milk is wonderful. That's a lot of progress to make in a fairly short time, and I think it's due to the fact that you are doing everything right, when it comes to pumping.

I'm not really noticing a change and I'm worried, is this all I'm going to get out? Should I have more out by now or is this a normal pace?
    20 drops is probably not your maximum milk production, though it's impossible to say how any woman's body is going to respond to the relactation process. That being said, your pace is normal. My LC told me that it can take 2x as long to regain supply as it did to lose it, though I don't know that her figures should be treated as gospel. More of an indication that the process can be slow!

Will my milk just come in one day like it did after giving birth, or is it seriously one drop at a time?
    Unfortunately, relactation is more of a drop at a time process. But give yourself some time with the hospital grade pump before letting yourself get discouraged about the slow rate of increase.

is it too late to breastfed at 10 months? I don't know that it's possible to re train her so late in and the only interest she has in them is slapping and biting my nipples
    10 months is not too late to be breastfed, and some moms do manage to get their older babies back to the breast. But there are no guarantees of success- you might be stuck with putting your milk in bottles. This link gives suggestions for getting a previously weaned baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you both for your encouraging words and help. Really helped ease my mind and everything seems to be going great! I'm getting much more milk now thanks to the medela symphony and a positive attitude.