Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time over supply! Help

Default Night time over supply! Help

My baby stopped sleeping through the night around 3.5 months (I was pumping at night while he slept). Now he is 4 months and has his last feed around 7-7:30 pm before going to bed. He wakes at 1am to feed and again by 4am. He doesn't feed for that long, just a snack. The problem is I am so rock hard engorged by 1am that I fear clogged ducts. I need sleep more than I need to pump. I finally tried pumping around 12:45 last night and not a lot came out despite being engorged. During the day while he's at daycare I typically get anywhere from 3-6 oz per breast. On the weekend he will eventually nurse it all out by maybe 10 am, but we don't have this time during the week and to make matters worse he's very distracted in the morning and won't focus on eating. I have to use heat compression all day to ease the pain and hardness. Will this extra night milk ever go away? I haven't been pumping in weeks except to try a little relief pump with my manual pump. Usually the breasts just fill right back up after that!

Default Re: Night time over supply! Help

My understanding is that hand expression (instead of a pump) may be better at reliving the engorgement without stimulating as much over supply. I am only repeating what I have read though since I have never had much trouble with engorgement since my problem has been the other side of the spectrum.

I agree with PP. Whenever I feel overfull to the point of pain, I hand-express it. Usually even an ounce would provide relief. You can do this anywhere, even in a sink at work.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

What happens if you try to dream feed him right before you go to bed? Many a baby will nurse in their sleep. Not really sure this would help with the over supply but it might shift things so you feed him right before you go to bed and then maybe only get woken up once to feed instead of twice.

So take him out of bed and try nursing while he's asleep? I'm worried he will wake but I will try tonight. I'm wondering why my night supply hasn't diminished since we don't feed as much at night. I don't want to have to wake for any kind of milk expression whether it be by machine or hand! I have trouble falling back to sleep for the amount of time spent doing this.

Many babies will nurse without really waking up fully. And even if he does wake up? is it really that hard to get him to go back to sleep? Especially if you are only waking him to nurse?

Milk supply is often more abundant while or after you are rested. And this is often why working moms will actually encourage lots of night nursing so that they don't have to work so hard to keep up with pumping during the day as baby gets older (many women often experience a "pump slump" or supply problems between 8-10 months.)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    Many babies will nurse without really waking up fully. And even if he does wake up? is it really that hard to get him to go back to sleep? Especially if you are only waking him to nurse?

Milk supply is often more abundant while or after you are rested. And this is often why working moms will actually encourage lots of night nursing so that they don't have to work so hard to keep up with pumping during the day as baby gets older (many women often experience a "pump slump" or supply problems between 8-10 months.)
    Exactly. If I'm ready to go to sleep and my baby hasn't yet woken to eat since going to sleep, I will just pick him up and nurse him. If he's in any stage of sleep other than the deepest, he will automatically open his mouth when I put him into nursing position. If he's in the deepest level of sleep I will bring him to my bed and watch him, and as soon as he seems to be less deeply asleep I'll try then. He eats while asleep and even if he wakes up (which happens sometimes) with eyes wide open, once he's a few minutes into the nursing, he's back asleep. Once babies are in "night mode" putting them back to sleep is nothing like if they wake up for a nap during the day and you want to get them back to sleep!

As this poster said, nursing at night is great for the working mother. I work all day and knowing that I feed him well at night means that I don't feel bad if I can't send that much milk with him while we're away.

By the way I also find I'm the most full at night. Like after a good feeding I can still pump an ounce and a half which I use for the next day.

Mom to Samuel J.

Ok, I did a dream nurse at 10:43 last night and got both sides in but then ended up awake all night and am pooped today. He woke again at 3:11 and 4:37! Then again at 5:50 (I just co slept with him finally at this point as he nursed on and off for an hour as I went in and out of sleep). I like the idea of co sleeping but I'm not too comfortable with it and as a result I don't sleep well. So yea, my boobs are not full this morning and never got rock hard, but I am exhausted today. I'm considering just going back to a midnight pumping session.

That could just be a coincidence that he woke up more times. Maybe he is undergoing a growth spurt or the dreaded four month sleep regression, where their sleep patterns become totally wonky for a little bit.

When you say you did a dream feed at 10:43 and then ended up awake all night - was the dream feed done prior to you going to sleep for the night or did you have to wake up for that? Is it possible for you to feed just before you go to sleep so you don't have to wake up for it?

I get you about not being all for the co-sleeping - it doesn't work for everyone. I know it's touted as being so beneficial in so many ways - and I agree with them all - but it definitely compromises on my sleep. I can't nurse lying down so I don't really get much advantage of nursing while "sleeping". I find myself much better rested when baby sleeps in his own crib. Also I'm petrified that he will fall off the bed (it happened once - he rolled till the foot of the bed and then fell down while my husband and I were asleep - we woke up from the thud). Till 6 months he slept in a crib near my bed (I could reach in to him while in my own bed, so it's that close). And now he sleep in his own room. After the last feed he stays in my bed in the morning so we do enjoy each other that way.

Mom to Samuel J.

Maybe it was a coincidence, but for the last week he's woken at 1am and 4am. I was asleep when I suddenly woke and saw the time, then fed him. I slept pretty well until his next wake up, too. I'm going to keep trying the dream feed. I think I can co sleep well if I can get over my paranoia that has been implanted in my head that I will hurt my baby. I can sleep in the same position all night and hook my arm around him, even propping his head a bit so he's right at nipple level. I don't roll over in sleep without being fully awake and it being my full intention to do so. But still...there is also all the negativity around co sleeping/bed sharing.