Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't take bottle

Default Baby won't take bottle

My 3 month old has been breastfed exclusively from birth. I have pretty bad post partum depression/separation issues and in her first two months refused to let anyone help feed her, ie use a bottle. When she was ten weeks, my boyfriend started trying to bottle feed her since I had to go back to work and she'd need to eat. It's been three weeks of hell. She HATES the bottle. Every bottle. We've tried ten diff bottles, a dozen different people, me out of the room, a sippy cup, nothing works. I end up having to drive back and forth from work to breast feed her everyday. I'm supposed to travel throughout the day but can't go farther than 1.5 hours from home so I make it back in time to feed her. It's making me so miserable, my boyfriend and I fight and the daycare lady is so frustrated I'm afraid she'll quit on us. Any help?! Thank you!!!

Default Re: Baby won't take bottle

I hated it when grandma went and put a dab of karo syrup (corn syrup) on the nipple to get mine to take a bottle. It worked for him and unfortunately he now has a flow preference for bottles and I can't get them to use paced bottle feeding techniques so I can't let them give anything bigger than about a 1 oz bottle since they will just pour it into him with no pauses.

Are you sure it's the bottle she hates? And not the milk? My baby took about a month to take more than an ounce per feeding while we were separated. I was going crazy. He'd take an ounce here and there and I couldn't go there to nurse. He just hated the bottle, or so I thought. When he came home with the bottle (usually mostly full) I'd notice an interesting smell but thought nothing of it because everyone said milk smells after a while and also because I figured it sat out after being rewarmed. Only recently (my baby is 8 months) did I make the connection that it was probably an issue of excess lipase! Recently my baby began refusing bottles again and he was taking them fine for a few months already so I knew something must be up with the milk (he nursed fine when we were together so it wasn't an issue of not wanting to eat). I went through the whole process of smelling/tasting/thawing frozen and fresh milk at different intervals and sure enough there was that unmistakable metallic/soapy taste in that time period's milk. So I suggest you check out your milk. Even fresh milk can have this issue - my milk today, it's already bad-tasting after 24 hours in the fridge. Btw, my solution was to freeze milk immediately after pumping, and that seems to be ok for a few days in the freezer.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

You can also scald the milk prior to freezing. There's another post on here somewhere where a mom used a bottle warmer to heat the milk and then she would freeze and viola, no more milk refusal!
    D 1995
    C 1996
    A 1998
    B 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abcdmom View Post
    You can also scald the milk prior to freezing. There's another post on here somewhere where a mom used a bottle warmer to heat the milk and then she would freeze and viola, no more milk refusal!
    Right but it's way too complicated to do while at work when I only have a short time to pump as it is. Also I can't keep ice bags at work to cool the milk.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Look up excess lipase since I know there are many threads on here about it. Some babies don't seem affected by it and others are very picky.
    Anyway, if you can manage to pump some milk fresh and let some one give it to baby immediately and see if maybe it makes a difference? Hard to know if it's the bottle or the milk she is objecting to at this point.

As to what to do about the Lipase, I've heard different people have been successful with different things. For some mom's it works to take the milk home and scald it before freezing, others even that long of a wait is too long.

Have you tried warming the milk? My DD#2 would only take it very warm. Also, she only liked the brown latex nipples from playtex. sge refused anything silicone. hth!