Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fluconazole

Default fluconazole

i was prescribed a one time use yeast medicine by my doctor called fluconazole. i was given this medicine because i requested an oral medicine instead of the cream i had been given. this is for yeast in my nipples. but the info ive found about the medicine says its not recommended for breastfeeding. im confused about what to do -if i should take the medicine or not. does anyone know if there is a real risk to the baby if i use this medicine?

i also have one nipple that is split in 2 places. it is extremely painful and it wont heal. does anyone have any advice on how to help this nipple. and how to deal with feeding off of it.

thanks

Default Re: fluconazole

Fluconazole is a lactation risk category L2 (safer). However, one dose probably won't come close to even touching your thrush if it's as bad as you describe. The protocol for systemic thrush is to treat for much longer. You can find Dr. Jack Newman's protocol here and Dr. Thomas Hale has it in his book "Medications and Mother's Milk" as well. You may want to take this information back to your doctor as well as ask him/her to prescribe this All-Purpose Nipple Ointment (scroll down a bit until you see the APNO portion). These links I'm giving you are not from an approved LLL source, however the information itself is approved by LLL, if that makes sense.

However, there are many over-the-counter and natural remedies for nipple thrush. Here is some information on that: Thrush and this is not from an approved LLL source but it's still good info -- http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...tml#treatments

HTH!

Default Re: fluconazole

Thanks you very much for the information it's very helpful.