Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pooping infrequently but not consipated (??)

Default pooping infrequently but not consipated (??)

Hi all,

I've managed to stick with BF and have introduced solids to my LO when he turned 6 months. Now he's 7 months, but we're having issues with his bowel movements -- essentially, they are too infrequent! It's making me wonder if perhaps I started solids too fast.

Before I started solids, he would go once every week or week and half. I was not concerned as I've read that EBF babies can go a while without pooping. When I first started, the stools got thicker, think peanut butter, but not formed. Then, he went 1.5 weeks without a bowel movement -- he started 'fudging' in the mornings and by the end of the 2nd week, finally had a HUGE poop! The poop was poop shaped but still soft -- like clay.

After that huge poop, he went 12 days without pooping (or fudging) and started getting fussy overall (esp. before farting). I got quite concerned and saw the doctor on the 12th day. Doctor listened and felt his stomach/abdomen but everything seemed normal. Suggested stimulating his anus or using a glycerin suppository. The stimulation did not work, but the suppository did after 2 hours. Again, the poop was poop shaped but still soft.

So, I'm not sure what to do now --- it doesn't seem like he's constipated (??) but it's sooo infrequent!

I dont feed him rice or other constipating/processed food; he gets avocados, yams, egg yolks, meat, fruit (raspberries, cherries, mangos, pears, prunes, etc.), sometimes bits of our dinner (pasta, etc). He doesnt get it pureed either - i hold the pieces and let him chew off bits, or give to him on a spoon, or let him feed himself.

The only thing I dont really do is give him liquids because I thought that breast milk is sufficient enough. The doctor told me that I need to start giving him some water or diluted juice so I will start trying that.

Could the lack of extra liquids be the problem, or am I going to fast with him? Does anyone else encounter the same issue with their child?

Thanks!

Default Re: pooping infrequently but not consipated (??)

With a baby who is just starting solids and still mostly breastfed, I think it's normal for the baby to continue to poop rather infrequently- though I also think you are right to be watchful.

I don't think your baby needs water/juice, except to play with. Breastmilk, provided you are nursing on demand and nursing before offering solids, is all your baby needs to stay hydrated, and it's nutritious (unlike water) and it's fine for his teeth (unlike juice).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

breastmilk should certainly be enough liquid assuming baby is getting enough breastmilk, which would still mean nursing quite a lot at this age.

A few sips of water with solids is probably ok, as long as it does not interfere with baby's desire to nurse. But it should not be needed. I found that my daughter enjoyed nursing after solid "meals" because then she was thirsty.

Thanks!

I do nurse on demand and follow the rule to nurse shortly before solids. I don't normally nurse after, but I'll try that to see if it increases the frequency. At what point though should I add in other liquids? He's currently 7 months -- I'll be going back to work when he's a year old and do not plan on nursing after that, so I want to slowly increase his solid consumption.

7 months is a great time to start giving your baby a sippy cup or straw cup with some water in it, to accompany meals. That way baby gets some experience with the cup, which at this point is much more important than whether or not he actually consumes fluids in addition to breastmilk.

May I ask why you're planning to wean at 12 months? It's absolutely fine if you do- it's just that I hate seeing moms give up what I consider to be the mommy superpower for the wrong reasons, like pressure from family or friends, or thinking that if you can't pump at work you also can't nurse at home.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just got a doidy cup, so I'll start using that soon then for him to play with.

As for the reason I plan to wean at 12 months, I require uninterrupted sleep to control a medical issue. Right now I am co-sleeping but flare ups from my medical issue are minimal because I'm able to "make up" for nursing interruptions throughout the night by sleeping much longer. Once I return back to work, however, I will not be able to do this as I will be gone nearly 12 hours a day (work requires 3.5 hour commute). In addition, I need to be fully rested for the long drives. Any spare hours that I have when I return home, I'd prefer to relax and spend time with my family. I may try pumping at work but at this point, I don't see myself doing that as I have to admit, I'm rather lazy and find pumping to be a pain. However if I can get down to two nursing sessions (before and after work) then I will continue. If not, then I'll just fully wean.

Thought I'd provide an update in case anyone goes through the same pooping frequency issue as me. The problem turned out to be not enough bulky food, or perhaps food in general. I started upping the amount he was eating and added in food like oatmeal cooked with yam, etc. That increased the frequency to every 4-5 days. Now that we're doing 3 meals a day, he poops nearly every day.