Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: day weaning

Default day weaning

My son is currently 10 months old; I'll return back to work 1.5 weeks shy of his first birthday. I'll be gone for 11 hours then (6am to 5pm) and do not want to pump during that time. When should I start day weaning to avoid engorgement? And do I need to replace the missed nursing sessions with formula?

My son is currently eating 3 meals a day (no snacks) - about a large egg size amount each meal. I was thinking about a month before I go back to work, I would start dropping afternoon feeding, then late morning, then late afternoon and lastly early morning. To replace the missed nursings, I would start introducing a few snacks throughout the day with some diluted juice.

I don't think I need to replace the missed nursing with formula because I wont be cutting back on the night and evening nursings.

Will that work?

Thanks!

Default Re: day weaning

Since he'll be so close to a year, I think your plan sounds basically sound. Here's how I would tweak it:
    - Instead of diluted juice, offer whole fruits and give formula, water, or whole animal milk as beverages. Juice is terrible for teeth and provides empty calories, and arguably it's something that people just shouldn't drink. Formula is the best breastmilk alternative until 12 months.
    - Stay flexible about your plans. If your baby goes on a major solid food strike or won't drink animal milk, pumping might help you bridge that gap. Also, weaning might take more tim that you expect- you might end up wanting or needing to pump at work, and you're going to want the machine with you just in case.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: day weaning

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Since he'll be so close to a year, I think your plan sounds basically sound. Here's how I would tweak it:
    - Instead of diluted juice, offer whole fruits and give formula, water, or whole animal milk as beverages. Juice is terrible for teeth and provides empty calories, and arguably it's something that people just shouldn't drink. Formula is the best breastmilk alternative until 12 months.
    - Stay flexible about your plans. If your baby goes on a major solid food strike or won't drink animal milk, pumping might help you bridge that gap. Also, weaning might take more tim that you expect- you might end up wanting or needing to pump at work, and you're going to want the machine with you just in case.

Thanks! I'm only giving diluted juice because of his pooping issues. I'll start trying to get him to drink water only and when I start weaning, Ill switch to whole milk.

I do have 2 pumps (1 electronic, 1 manual), so it wont be a big deal, but will definitely bring it with me in case.