Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning 2 month old

Default Weaning 2 month old

I went back to work 2 weeks ago and have been pumping there, nursing at home. I only get about 6 ounces pumping, so the babysitter and my husband have been supplementing with formula.
    When nursing, the baby goes for about an hour, then wants to nurse again about an hour later. I'm afraid that maybe he's not getting enough from me-he's been eating every hour or so since he was born (he's 2 months old-10 lbs, 24"). He doesn't take a pacifier, so the sitter and my husband cant 'comfort nurse' him when he's upset and nothing else seems to work to calm him down-he screams for hours, rooting for a breast.
    So, we are going to wean him from breastfeeding-I'll still pump, but he'll have mostly formula.
    My question-what's the best way to do this? I've read different opinions online....

Default Re: Weaning 2 month old

Nursing every hour is not a bad thing. Nursing is about more than just food and babies do need to suck for comfort and food. Would you be open to continuing nursing if baby were to start using a pacifier when you are not available? Unfortunately, I don't know how to get a baby who doesn't like pacifiers to take one but I'm not sure that weaning is the way I would personally address this problem of baby crying and rooting since baby will still have the need to comfort suck even if no longer breastfed.

How often is he given bottles while you are working? Is he being fed on demand?

I think the most common way babies get weaned onto bottles slowly is actually so easy it is usually accidental. Simply give bottles too much and slowly moms supply drops till baby is 100% bottle fed.

He is being fed on demand the 10 hours I'm gone from him. Sometimes he plays with a pacifier or sucks a finger, it just doesn't last very long.
    Today he ate 8 ounces in one sitting and then another 6 ounces later on (with smaller feedings throughout). Yesterday I nursed him for an hour, then he ate 6 ounces by bottle 30 minutes later.
    He doesn't have a problem with the bottles... He just wants to nurse all the time and I can't be there all the time to let him.

I forgot to add that my work schedule is different everyday-could be 7-4pm, could be 2-10pm. Might that be part of the problem, too... No stability at home..?

So, we are going to wean him from breastfeeding-I'll still pump, but he'll have mostly formula.
    My question-what's the best way to do this? I've read different opinions online....
    I am not sure what you are asking? I agree with tclynx-there is usually nothing complicated about weaning a baby from the breast to the bottle. At LLL it is suggested that whenever possible, at whatever age, weaning is best done as gradually as circumstances allow, but beyond that it is a pretty individual process. If mom is not going to be nursing or pumping anymore, then she needs to be careful about that because if she suddenly reduces milk extraction frequency that can lead to engorgement and possible health issues. But I guess I do not understand your question. Do you mean how to stop nursing, feed bottles, or reduce your milk production?

Of course irregular work schedules can be difficult for some kids, but I doubt this is a huge issue for a two month old who is barely conscious of night or day. Your child's behavior sounds normal to me. Most 2 months olds have a strong compulsion to nurse, the urge to nurse frequently it is a survival instinct that long predates civilization. A 2 month old who is having daily separations from mom is often going to want to nurse even more when mom is there.

The bottles sound very big for a two month old. At this age, eating 8-12 times a day and eating both day and night are normal feeding patterns for both breast and bottle fed infants. Paced bottle feeding helps prevent overfeeding with bottles and is appropriate even for exclusively bottle and/or formula fed babies. Despite what the header on this article says, paced bottle feeding is NOT only for breastfed babies. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...36403D3FC35D6E

I am unclear why you have decided to wean. Whatever the reason is, I do suggest be very sure this is what you want. I have talked to many moms who weaned for various reasons in the early months with a new baby when they felt overwhelmed, and regretted it later. Unfortunately, relactating and encouraging a baby to nurse again after baby has been weaned is very difficult and not always successful. This may be the best choice for your family. But ultimately it comes down to what you want for yourself and your child. If someone is suggesting you need to wean because of how your baby behaves when you are at work, I think that is rather shortsighted considering the health costs to both mother and child of not nursing. The early months with a newborn are hard no matter how an infant is fed.

Hi, I can't comment on how to wean, but I will say that at that age I had oversupply and was with my baby 24/7, and nevertheless my baby wanted to nurse all.the.time. Wanting to nurse every hour is absolutely normal for a 2 mo and does not indicate that baby is not getting enough milk from you. I totally empathize with your need to work (and the lack of decent maternity leaves in many places), but from your baby's point of view it is natural and instinctual to want to nurse from you all the time. I don't see how weaning completely will help? Could you just nurse when together and do bottles when you are apart?

As others have said- this is fully your decision. But I'd also echo some of the sentiments above- frequent nursing is really healthy and normal, particularly for a such a young babe, and especially after a day spent apart. It is your little one's way of reconnecting.

Would you say that the major piece of the pie when considering weaning to bottles the part about difficulties experienced for the caregivers when you're away? If so, we could maybe brainstorm
    ideas to try for that. Or is it the frequency of nursing when you're home that is the most major concern? If so, we could brainstorm ideas to make that more manageable.