Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self weaning @ 12 months?? So sad :(

Unhappy Self weaning @ 12 months?? So sad :(

My daughter is 12.5 months old and is about 10 days into a cold-turned-ear infection. Just before the cold, she was biting me a lot, drawing blood twice. I tried everything, and was contemplating ending our breastfeeding relationship, even though it killed me!

Well, then she got sick, and no more breastfeeding, even before the ear infection started. She is all better now, and still won't nurse. She won't drink hand expressed milk from a bottle, sippy cup, cup, or even syringe! She spits it out and makes a funny face. She does the same with cow or soy milk too.

She eats lots of solids and drinks plenty of water. She also loves greek yogurt and cheese, but just won't drink ANY milk. I can't keep my supply up since I don't respond to pump and can't hand express much. Even when I can produce some, she won't drink it.

I am so sad and crying a lot, but she's doing great. No fussiness, eating well, and not sick anymore. I continue to offer my breast multiple times a day but she gets so mad at me!! If she decides to nurse again, can I get my supply back? I seriously have expressed about 10 oz in the last 10 days.

I know it's rare to self wean this early, but is it possible? I'm feeling so sad and guilty...

Default Re: Self weaning @ 12 months?? So sad :(

It's more likely a strike brought on by the ear infection. The pain was probably exacerbated by the position she was in to nurse. Which she now associates with the ear pain. That's a really common reason for strikes. At 12.5 months you could really go either way. You could walk away. And your child probably won't be sad and traumatized by it because she is associating it with ear pain and 1 year olds are SO busy. But you could also nurse her while she sleeps and try to work your way back in that way. Sleeping babies usually will suck. If you nurse her while sleeping or sleepy she may come back. Her molars are gonna break if they haven't already. And that time if they associate the breast with comfort, is usually a time of increased nursing. So you just need to decide which way you want to go with it. Either way making it a year is a huge accomplishment. So don't feel terrible. It's not like you pushed her away. If you do decide to wean her you definitely need to replace you milk with whole fat milk. Good luck.

Way too lazy for formula

I know it's hard, mama. Try not to beat yourself up about it though, you did nothing wrong. Have you tried going around the house topless, or sitting with your LO topless while she is playing? Or taking a bath with her? Having your breasts be exposed while in close contact with her might be enouh of an invite for her. I have also heard of making a game out of it by trying to squirt breastmilk in her mouth... Good luck, mama. Keep us posted.

First time mama to my bean, born 3/2012. Still . She loves her "me's".

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sadmama37 View Post
    If she decides to nurse again, can I get my supply back?
    To bring your supply back up you probably need her help nursing alot or to rent a hospital grade pump and pump frequently for a while.

Thank you for the support and advice. I've tried to nurse when she's sleepy, dead asleep, just waking, etc, all to no avail. She bites me or just pushes me away, or just kinda barely puts her mouth on the nipple and then looks up at my like "what are you doing???". I've been spending a lot of it time around her topless, and we bathe together a lot. We sleep together so I sleep topless when I can too. It's like she almost sees my nipples as playthings now! She's grab them, tugs them, anything but nursing. And seriously, she won't drink any milk. Dr said to replace 16oz of milk with 8oz of yogurt and make sure she drinks plenty of water. Dr also told me she would probably be fussier than normal if she was on a strike, and she seems pretty happy. Either way, she's not having any of it, and I've tried other nursing positions too.

I will continue to try everything you ladies have mentioned, and will try not to be down on myself. I'm so happy we made it to a year! I'm lucky I have am adventurous eater on my hands. Maybe she just got bored having the same damn thing every day

I hear you on being sad.

But definitely shed that Guilt since it is definitely NOT your fault, you have gone to great lengths and you can't "force" a baby to nurse.