Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting nowhere :(

Default Getting nowhere :(

My daughter is going on 3 months. I didn't get to nurse her right away and wasn't able to try and breast feed her until she was almost 2 weeks old. She would latch and has a great suck but wouldn't keep sucking. I was pumping every 3-4 hours and had a great supply but after we got home she still wouldn't keep sucking so and took over an hour to eat, she was a very needy newborn so I had to stop pumping. We ran out of all the milk I had stored up and she's been on formula and hasn't been doing that well on it she either spits up a ton or doesn't eat very much in a 24 hour period. They said she has reflux and has been getting meds for that. But I really want to relactate since she did well on the breast milk. I have tried to put her to the breast and she will take it a few times but most of the time shes to mad to try after a min or 2 of not getting milk. I have been power pumping for 20 mins at a time and still don't get anything. Its been 2 weeks!!! I do however get milk if I hand express but during the whole day I'm lucky if I get 10mls. Any suggestions on how to get milk to come out when I use the pump rather than hand expressing??

Default Re: Getting nowhere :(

have you see the video in pumping forum?, first i massage and then pump, my goal is to pump every 2 hours, 9, 11, 13... i red it works better. when my son is sleep he accept more my milk
    Last edited by @llli*chivislh; May 29th, 2014 at 02:59 PM.

No I haven't I will go check it out. I have been massaging then pumping I have only managed to get 20 mls at the most and that was after I didn't get a chance to do it for a few days since I was sick and couldn't really do much. I did go to the DR and she prescribed me Reglan for 10 days so I'm hoping that after taking it for a few days it will pick up my milk supply....I really wanted the Domperidone but I'll take anything at this point to help. I did get her to latch last night and use it like it was a pacifier so I have hope that if I can get the milk to come in she will latch even if I have to start out with a nipple shield

I do not produce a lot when expressing however I have found that massage, pump and then hand expression until there are no drops left has helped to increase my supply. That and the supplements have been a great help.

I have done this and it seems that I could hand express forever if I go a few hours between doing it but then about 10 at night ( I pump on evens) I don't produce anything with hand express or the pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetpea01 View Post
    I do not produce a lot when expressing however I have found that massage, pump and then hand expression until there are no drops left has helped to increase my supply. That and the supplements have been a great help.

Some questions for you:
    - What sort of pump are you using?
    - How does pumping feel?
    - How many times are you pumping in a 24 hour period?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

[QUOTE=@llli*mommal;1337087]Some questions for you:
    - What sort of pump are you using? the Medela one from the hospital
    - How does pumping feel? at first it hurt but the past 2 days it hasn't hurt as bad since I'm actually getting a measurable amount of milk
    - How many times are you pumping in a 24 hour period? 10-12 times for 20 mins with the pump then I hand express until the milk doesn't flow out very well

I have actually got 2 ounces with the milk I have saved throughout the day today. My DD actually latched for one of the feedings so I let her suck until she fell asleep on one side(about 15 mins) then I switched her over to the other side and she latched for about 10 mins I tried to hand express after that and didn't get much out before she was mad that she wasn't full and I had to give her a bottle. I feel like this is possible now just taking awhile to build my supply back up I hope its not to much longer until I can get 4 oz at a time

Sounds like you're doing great!

Is the Medela pump a hospital-grade pump? They are usually the best when it comes to increasing supply, and the faster you go, the better.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

it was and I was getting 8-12oz a day then they called and had another mom who needed the pump since her baby was in NICU so I have been using my pump which is the Medela pump in style and im only getting 6oz a day with pumping the way the video says to. I've even been taking Fenugreek... but my period is also due in a few days and I heard you drop before then.

You might want to call around and see if someone has a hospital-grade machine for rent. I rented mine from my IBCLC, and it was worth every penny!

Your supply MIT dip before your period, or it might not. Not everyone has the same experience in that regard!